It must be my day for wildlife rescue

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsejody, Nov 17, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    During lunch I had to go to the bank. In the parking lot I found a pigeon shaking. I walked up to it, and it didn't fly off. I used to do wildlife rescue and even rehabbed a wild pigeon once. So, of course, I picked her (I think it was a her) up and was looking for injuries. While handling her, a huge kernal of corn popped out of her mouth. I tipped its head down and gave her a little shake. Two more giant kernals popped out. I guess they were too big to get into her crop. I set her up against a wall and out of the wind. I watched her for a minute. She seemed to regain her composure and flew off. I thought, OK that is my good deed for the day. Then I got to the bank and there was a bat laying on the sidewalk freezing to death. I got a box from the girls at the bank and rescued the bat. Don't worry, I know what I'm doing. I have done this before. I didn't touch it. I would not recommend to anybody to ever pick up a bat or touch it. I was able to get him in the box by pushing him in with another piece of cardboard. The bat is now in a box sitting on my desk. The Humane Society is sending someone to pick it up. They will take it to the bat lady at the local wildlife rehab. I guess God decided it was my day to help the local wildlife.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm glad He sent you by to help his little ones who were struggling today. [​IMG]

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    If I came to your office and acted sick, would you rescue me and take me home and let me ride your horses???

(Good job on the rescues. Some higher power must have sent you to where his wounded ones lay.)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:OK, but you would have to shovel manure.

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Oh, I have lots of experience with that, in stall and out. 50 ton wheelbarrows full. Not to mention the manure I have to spread around at the office...

6. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

oooh! oooooh! Can I be next afte Buffy? I can shovel too... [​IMG]

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Doesnt it just seem like your at the right place at the right time to help something? Your wonderful for being so caring.

8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Well, they just picked the bat up. He will be with wildlife rehab shortly. They will probably put him in atificial hybernation. When the weather warms up, he will wake up in a bat house with a small colony. Bats find themselves in dire straights when they end up getting into offices or homes in the winter. They end up being shooed out the window and freezing to death. Yeah, I understand that you can't have a bat flying around the house. I like to save them because they can really reduce the mosquito population in the summer.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Sure, we have plenty of poo for everyone!

10. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    good for you ... nice job.. I would come out to shovel also but your a bit far.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by