It should be illegal to come to work sick!!!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tala, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

OMG this guy from work has been posting all over facebook about how sick he's been with the stomach flu, for the past two days.
    Now he says he hopes he can make it to work tomorrow and that he's not going to call in.

[​IMG]
    I really just want to throw a handfull of nails in his driveway so he can't come to work!!! No way in heck do I want to be in the same building as him after hearing about all the throwing up he's been doing. [​IMG]

Maybe being facebook friends with coworkers isn't so great, eh?
    On the other hand, I come in several hours before he does maybe I can convince the boss not to let him work.
    In fact, since we do work in food service it's probably a health regulation of some kind......

2. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Give him one of these....[​IMG]. Those type of people make me mad....I have relatives like that. When they are sick they still go to family gatherings and graciously share their germs with everyone else. [​IMG]

3. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Is it the coworker's fault or the employer's? If he has the option of staying home, that is pretty bad of him to go in and expose other people to the flu. I can't tell you how many places I have worked though that expect employees to work sick. I was demoted at Nordstrom several years ago for calling in sick over a weekend. You would know though obviously since he works at your place of employment whether it is him or them. If it is him (which it sounds like from what you said), that is awful.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've Also Worked Many Places That Expected You To Be There Regardless, Or Simply Made It Impossible (very Low Wages/no Sick Pay) For You To Not Go To Work. Most Jobs I've Had Have Been Food Industry Related, And They Would Practically Beg Me To Come In, Even When Sick. Just Make Sure You Wash Your Hands A Lot, And Don't Touch Around Your Mouth, Nose, Or Eyes Without Very Clean Hands. Maybe The Boss Can Make Him Wear A Mask, If He Does Let Him Work?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    and make him wear gloves. even those thin clear plastic ones are better than nothing. I'd make him wear them all 8 hours he was there.

6. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    when I worked at the hospital they used the point system. One point for every day you miss and after 10 you are fired. I went to work many times sick because I had to and it was a shame because I worked in surgery.....great place to be sick... [​IMG]

7. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Thats terrible!

If you are sick, you should NEVER work anywhere like food industry or in surgeries.
    I mean, they could get themselves into trouble, surely?
    You know, Health and safety and such.

*Prays he changes his mind*

8. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Mrs. Turbo :

when I worked at the hospital they used the point system. One point for every day you miss and after 10 you are fired. I went to work many times sick because I had to and it was a shame because I worked in surgery.....great place to be sick... [​IMG]

[​IMG] WOW ... One of the nursinf homes i worked for, If the charge nurse heard you coughing, or sniffling, it was company policy for her to take temps and give you the once over. If it was determined that you were sick you were sent home. There were many days where I was sent home for my allergies, I hod to go to my doc and have him write a letter explaining my allergies and that I was not sick. They did not take germs and infection control lightly (This policy came into affect after SARS)​

9. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

This was his facebook post today
    hoping to survive and make it through work. Maybe I can get rid of this virus and pass it on to someone at work. Haha. Still weak, sore and got the shakes.

And he came to work anyway [​IMG]

I think the manager sent him home pretty quick though. I hope I didn't get any germs!

We have reeeeeeally lenient managers, I mean if they know your sick they will let you off. So he could have called in and still had a job.
    We have one guy who has missed several days because of a car wreck, insurance problems getting a new car, twisted ankle, etc. We call him accident prone - yet he still works there, because it's not like he got ran over by a semi on purpose and it wasn't his fault that the insurance company wouldn't give him a rental for more than 3 days [​IMG]

10. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    I have to say that I've gone to work sick. Not because I choose to but because it's needed to survive and pay our bills. I read the post where they were given 10 points, well I worked at one place that only allowed 3 points per quarter. Sometimes people just don't have options.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by