1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It stinks! What do I do??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Twoandhelp, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Twoandhelp

Twoandhelp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2015
    I have 400quail eggs in a styrofoam incubator. It's day. 5 ish and it STINKS. Now- I'm not entirely sure the bottom where the water normally goes was completely sanitized- so could be some goo, BUT if it's eggs- how on earth do I tell? They're dark speckled quail eggs, can't candle them really. They it only incubate 16 days or so- think j can make it with no explosion til then? If I smell test each one, would the temp for them get to low?

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    Sounds like you have a rotten egg somewhere. I'd try to find out which one it is before it explodes.

3. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Dang it! Ok- how long can they stay out of the incubator would you say? 400 eggs is a lot of sniffin, might take a while

4. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    I'd take out a dozen or so at a time. Then each are only out for a few moments at a time.

5. Twoandhelp

Apr 7, 2015
    Ok - and I could mark them and actually count them. I kinda have a crazy double layer thing going on so it will be tricky but I can make it work. I'll have my other incubator free in 3 days that I could separate them out but I prolly shouldn't wait huh? I wonder what makes the egg rotten. My first batch I hatched only 35/48 and it never got stinky the whole time.

6. JadedPhoenix

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    You could have had an early quitter. Then the constant heat in the incubator would encourage it to become rotten. For your last hatch, it could be that your others that didn't hatch weren't fertile so they never started to develop or they died later in the incubation process so they didn't become rotten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by