It takes all kinds . . .

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fowltemptress, Aug 21, 2008.

1. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I've been giving a vegetarian friend my excess bantam eggs. She was over a moment ago and this conversation took place . . .

Her - "How do you know which eggs to give me?"

Me - "Uh . . . I'm not sure what you mean."

Her - "How do you know which eggs are fertile and which aren't without cracking them open?"

Me - "I don't."

Her - "I guess I've been lucky. There haven't been any blood spots in the eggs you've given me."

I guess I should have left the conversation at that, but I couldn't help myself. I recently learned how to spot the bulls eye, thanks to a recent thread on this forum, so I cracked open an egg and showed my friend how to really spot a fertilized egg. I apologized and told her I didn't know her vegetarianism extended to fertile eggs, but that my chickens are better cared for than anything she'll find at HEB, and she isn't really killing chicks, as my hens aren't broody so the eggs wouldn't hatch regardless. It was to no avail . . . she told me she's going back to HEB to get her eggs from now on. I told her she could try the farmer's market, that not every farmer keeps a rooster with their flock. She said she doesn't want to run the risk of accidentally eating a fertile egg, and store eggs are the only ones that can give her that assurance.
    It's interesting, where people's priorities lay.

2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    what a Kook!

she would rather buy from a place that you have no idea how the chickens are taken care of.. than someone who takes excellent care of their chickens you can see how they are taken care of.. over one little sperm?

I really think that she needs to revisit the resonings behind her eathing habbits. She obviously isnt a vegan so more than likely she is taking a stand against the treatment of animals.. I dont get it!!!

ohhhh getting off my soap box.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  3. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Ah . . . she's a good person, she just doesn't have all the facts straight. But shh . . . yeah, "she's a kook!" was my first thought. Don't let her know! [​IMG]

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Yup - heard that before from people on here. Hard core vegies will not eat a fertilzed egg. I'm glad you were honest with her and gave her some education on the process. It's her choice what she eats... we believe she's being silly but many others agree with her.

That's part of what makes this world so fun to live in... we can eat (or not eat) what we want for whatever reasons we want.

I have heard of people who puposely didn't keep a Roo so that they could sell their eggs to vegitarians without being concerned about their not wanting fertilzed eggs.

5. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    It takes all kinds to make this world go round... Friends, Family & Strangers...

I have to remind myself of this daily ... [​IMG]

Maybe your friend will do some research and come back to fresh raised over store bought.

6. fowltemptress

Jan 20, 2008
    Oh, I can sorta understand the whole not wanting to eat a fertile egg thing. I just thought it was kooky she'd look into store eggs before farmers market eggs or some other source. I have nothing against people who eat store eggs, but I can't do it when I think of the differences in quality of life those chickens have from mine. Since she's a veggie for animal welfare reasons, I just thought she'd be completely against store eggs for the same reason I am.
    For the record, I'm a ravenous meat eater, but the chicken industry disturbs me enough to the point that I try to supply my own chickens, or (more often) I replace the chicken in dishes with rabbit.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I think it's interesting that she assumed you were separating out INfertile eggs for her to eat. People should know not everyone thinks like they do, right? Yep, she can eat or not eat whatever she wants for whatever reason she thinks is logical, but that was kind of funny-strange to me.

8. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    I once knew someone who wanted to buy my eggs (and I had a rooster) but, when she found out I fed my chickens leftovers from dinner once in a blue moon, including meat, - though hardly any - she didn't want to eat them. [​IMG]

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    She's always going to be paranoid about her eggs now. I'm glad you educated her though. [​IMG]

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Some people [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by