It there a min. age for Sevin Dust?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jmurcks, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I was going to dust my flock but I have some youngsters out there, (4 weeks and 9 weeks), and wasn't sure if they were too young or not.
    Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't dust a chicken with Sevin at any age unless it was a last-ditch effort for some kind of awful resistant bug.

3. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I saw some mites on the sides of coop but I haven't seen any actually on the birds.
    I haven't checked them at night, yet, though.

I have used Sevin on the adults before but with chicks I wasn't sure if that was safe.

Thanks!

4. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Quote:Shake N Bake them in DE it's safe for any age, just dont submerge their heads in the bag and cause respiratory issues. You need to use FOOD GRADE CODEX DE not the pool filter stuff. Often times feed stores have it available. You can also add it to your bedding to help the infestation.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I didn't use sevin on my chickens but did buy the spray you mix with water and spray out the house then I used invermectin pour on and put it on them right between their wings on the skin, I was desperate they had mites very bad. they are 2 years to 4 months. I have been using DE and poultry protector since I started keeping ducks and chickens and still got mites so I had no choice but to use ivermectin, and sevin I sure didn't want to though

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  6. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I've been using DE, too. I usually dust them in it at least once a month. I have been doing so more with the humid weather. Their coop is covered in it, too.
    I still got mites, too, though.

I wormed with Ivermectin awhile back and no one got sick but I didn't treat the babies because they were still in the brooder.

I thought if I only dusted the adults the mites would just jump onto the little ones and that would be pointless but I REALLY like these chicks and do not want them sick or worse!

Thanks!

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I dusted my turkey poults & peachicks 3 days ago. They are 4 to 6 weeks old. I see no problems. This was preventative, because they were housed where some mite ridden birds were kept.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am so upset about having to go with chemicals, I had been completely natural no chemicals till this week, but boy did they have the mites, Didn't really know what I was looking for till they got on me. I couldn't find any on my birds but they had been scratching so thought I'd better have a look thats when they got on me, gross. Then I knew for sure I had to do something in a hurry, They all came through fine and will repeat it again in 2 weeks. As for age maybe someone on here can tell you. I don't think I do chicks at 1 month or younger but thats just me.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:More proof that DE isnt all that great. Yes, you can use sevin dust on your chicks. Just put a little bit of the dust on 2 or 3 fingers and gently rub it in on them. Dont get any in their nostrils nor eyes. Redust them in 10 days in the same manner. I dont recommend ivermectin due to their young age.

10. Jmurcks

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    Thanks for all the info!

I hate using chemicals, too, esp. something that isn't exactly labeled for poultry but it's better than them being sick, I guess!
    I saw mine crawling on the inside (painted white) area of the coop... I thought they were tiny little baby red spiders at first and then I realized what they were...

My smallest chicks are only around 5 weeks and the cockerels are still not 100% feathered out so I was a bit weary of dusting them.
    I was hoping maybe someone else had done so with good results!

Of all the odds, I had only put the chicks out there this week.

Would turkeys and peachicks be stronger (or easier to handle chemicals) than chickens since they are a bit larger?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by