It was a trade-off

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sir Birdaholic, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I went to feed this morning, & in my quail pen, I see part of a snake under a half log. [​IMG] I went & got the shovel, flipped over the log, & Got it. [​IMG] [​IMG] It was a 5' black snake. Normally they can stick around, but mess with my birds! [​IMG] It had already eaten a hen. [​IMG] BUMMER. [​IMG] I wen't back to the house after feeding & my Min-Pin is very curious of the incubator. I'm due to hatch more quail, so I listened, looked in the window, & sure enough, 1 hatched, [​IMG] 1 trying, & several to go.

2. mercedes

mercedes Songster

May 4, 2010
    TX
    You did what was necessary.Sorry you lost your hen:confused:gCongrats on the new babies:jumpy

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    HOw did a 5' foot snake eat a full grown hen??

4. Quote:I think it was a quail hen, as it was found near the quails pen....or a 5' snake can eat a bantam hen - seen it!

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Yes, A Jumbo Cotournix. I still have 6 hens & 2 cocks though, & more hatching. I have 3 different batches in the bator, about 50 eggs.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    the same sort of thing happened to me- about a week after i got a leghorn chick from a school project, one of my mixed bantams died from the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: