It was exciting and it just happened!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by WriterofWords, May 4, 2009.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    We just got to see something that is extremely rare here, a huge flock of Canadian Geese flying North! They came up from around the direction of Juarez, MX to our South and were headed North in formation and Steven and I just stood there gaping at them watching them changing leadership and some taking point then falling back. We never even thought to take a pic of them. The ducks in the yard were going nuts talking to them.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I love watching the Canada Geese flying in formation. Never fails to thrill me.

I am glad you love it, too!

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    How exciting! There's a flock that lives on the lake near here and they fly over about once a week. Still run outside to watch everytime we hear them though.

4. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    I Guess us here in Ohio, take things for Granted... Seeing Canadian Geese flying like that here, is more common than seeing open sky seems like! lol Dont get me wrong! I guess it is neat!

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:[​IMG] So true! But I'll never forget being down south and seeing little lizards everywhere and long-legged birds (egrets?) everywhere. To them, they are probably like our pigeons and Canadian geese LOL but I thought it was awesome so I can relate.

7. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] So true! But I'll never forget being down south and seeing little lizards everywhere and long-legged birds (egrets?) everywhere. To them, they are probably like our pigeons and Canadian geese LOL but I thought it was awesome so I can relate.

Yeah! That would be wild to see Lizards walking around! lol.. when I was little I always wanted to go somewhere where they had lizards and catch one - Then a few years ago, we took a trip to Florida.. and there on the side of a palm tree was a lizard! I took a ton of pictures of him.. but I wouldnt dare touch him! lol

8. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    I was born and raised in Ny so i can honestly say canadian geese do not make me happy, but yay for them making your day:D

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I always love seeing and hearing them overhead. And we get them a lot! Especially in the fall, honk honk honk is a lovely sound to me. It's nature at it's best. When I look up to see where they are going and who the leader is - that tops my day.

I live in an area that has a lot of adult communities. They all complain about the nuisance geese. "They poop all over the golf course!"

I read in the local paper about how one elderly woman [​IMG] was so mad at seeing a flock of geese on their community property that she chased them and slipped in the goose poop and broke her hip. She was gonna sue the community management, (hello! she chased them and slipped - they didn't chase her!) Meanwhile it's OK for people poop to go out to the ocean and ruin things in that environment. ack ack ack

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you enjoy them Writer! I sure do whenever i hear them. I don't even want to talk about how they get rid of flocks of them for the sake of the "shore community safety". OK I'll stop now.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  10. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I live in a subdivision with 5 ponds so we have geese coming and going all year long. I think my chickens have finally gotten used to seeing and hearing them now... my roo doesn't sound any of his alarms when the geese fly overhead these days. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by