It was HORRIBLE!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by newtofarmlife, Apr 22, 2009.

1. newtofarmlife

newtofarmlife Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2009
    mission b.c
    Hi There
    I had my chicks out in their pen today and I came in to grab my camera to take pictures of their first outing and as I looked outside to my horror there were 3 crows in with them and as I started screaming one picked up my baby and flew off...I chased it as far as I could hoping maybe it would drop her but it wouldn't..it flew into a distance tree and started eating her in front of mine and my 7yr old daughter,needless to say it was EXTREMELY traumatizing and I don't know what to do...I was wondering about a net but I don't get paid for another week so I was thinking maybe put some flashers on some string??Not to sure if that would work or not...please feel free to give any suggestions

Many Thanks to all

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    [​IMG] Holy COW!!! That IS horrible!! I am so sorry!! How old are your chicks? I let mine out on nice days, in a dog run with no top, they are 4&5 weeks old, should I worry?

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    put the chick indoor for a few days, tie a piece of meat with a string pegged in the ground, shoot the crows.

4. Feathered Landings

Feathered Landings Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Eatonville, WA
    So, so sorry. [​IMG] Have you looked on Craigslist under the "free" section? I've seen a lot of chicken wire and stuff of that sort on there...maybe you can find someone giving it away. Until then, I'd leave them in just to be safe.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think crows are generally good guys, for adult chickens that is.

Cover your chicken pen.

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Quote:What do crows taste like?

7. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Crows are all dark meat and fairly tough. Taste rank too. Depends on how you fix em'........

8. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    I use an old screen, full window size, a plastic tarp from painting or raking leaves. Crows are brazen, I saw a baby bird stolen from a birds nest - did the same thing chasing it and yelling to no avail. Sorry, it's worse when its personal. [​IMG]

9. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:What do crows taste like?

crunchy if you deep fry them...

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Sorry this happened to you and your child. It is certainly a hard lesson to learn when these things happen. The pen without a top made them fair game to any predator around. Instead of being traumatized it is really a good idea to try and teach the children about the food chain and how everything needs to eat and takes any opportunity to do so if given a chance. I know we don't expect these things to happen but they do and we need to learn from them as much as we can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by