1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

It was inevitable...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Warfrost, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Warfrost

Warfrost In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    My Asiatic hen "Blue the Roo" finally took a soup bath tonight. She is the most vicious chicken I have ever layed eyes on(as far as behavior towards other chickens). She and the two black Asiatics I have got kicked to free ranged the other day, and all was going well. Blue gets along with the two blacks, but ONLY them.

Well, I let my two mutt roos out to free range permanently today, as I don't want them breeding with my Ameraucanas. They are gorgeous, so I'd like to keep at least one of the boys. Well, the big one went over to the 3 Asiatics to say hello, and Blue did a full on frontal attack. Claws, wings, and beak. She grabbed his comb after kicking him, and wouldn't let go(a lot like a pit bull). That was the last straw. She already had nearly killed Sugar, my lil' black cochin mix hen. I barely saved her! So I decided that I would make good on my threats. My hubby found our little camping axe and I took care of the problem.

The kids were really interested in what a "real chicken" looks like on the inside(lol), so we had a little biology lesson as I plucked and processed. All in all, I feel really good about my decision. The other 2 Asiatics don't bother anyone else, so they are safe for the time being. They are bunking with the mutt brothers, and seem happy. I can rest easy knowing that Blue was treated well in life, and very much enjoyed and appreciated in death. What a great experience for my family as well...they were able to have a tactile experience that will help them have more respect for where food actually comes from, and the effort that goes into processing an animal.

Thanks to BYC as well, where I was able to do a bit of research and make sure that I could be confident in what I was doing.

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Songster

Jun 29, 2009
    Talk about turning lemons into lemonade! [​IMG]

3. Warfrost

Warfrost In the Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Madera
    Quote:Or in this case, a vicious chicken into delicious chicken soup!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by