1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It was quiet in our neighborhood yesterday....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by froggie71, Sep 13, 2009.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    because my boys had the roos at our State 4-H show. We had taken our Red Star roo who showed as a mixed Standard Cockerel and received a Best of Breed. Our Buff Orpington pullet that got an excellent and our Wheaten OEGB. My youngest DS showed 2 of his ducks. He got an excellent and a very good for his F/w Indian Runner and his mixed khaki/runner.

The judge was very nice and seemed very knowledgeable. But, He told me our OEGB was a BB red. I'm pretty sure it's a Wheaten as I was told when we bought him. I knew he was still pretty young, but think he is turning into a nice boy. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]

On another note, I was listening to someone talk about their chickens and realized the story sounded familiar. I had read about it here on BYC so I introduced myself to JestersEye [​IMG] Great meeting you and your son!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

[​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry...don't know what he is, but he sure is a pretty little thing...or is that handsome??? [​IMG] Congrats to your sons on their awards!!

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Congratulations!
    I do not know what your chicken is though. [​IMG]
    And that is so cool, hear a live version of a story you read, then meet the person!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I don't know what the difference is for sure, I think just in the color of the hackle and saddle. I can look at pictures of both that are labled and can't see the difference. But here is a pic of my hatchery Wheaten OEGB

[​IMG]

6. JestersEye

JestersEye Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Mullica Twp., NJ
    Quote:It was super great meeting you and your family, also! I'm so happy to find out another BYCer lives so close to me! [​IMG]

Quote:And it made me feel like something of a "celebrity" to meet someone who'd read about my experiences in-person! [​IMG] We had such a great time at the show, btw!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!! your kids must be thrilled! Sorry, don't know about the roo but he is beautiful (and photogenic!!)

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    On males the differences between BBR & wheaten are pretty few. On females very different.

9. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thanks everyone. The boys really did have a good time and are looking forward to next year. Now they are trying to decide what will beat out the cute little call ducks and the Seremas that won overall.
    I did notice, that there was little difference between the BB red, and the Wheaten roos. The judge however told me the wheaten should be the same light brown color that the female should be. So I know now he was wrong.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Was this a licensed judge? If so, complain long and hard so that someone else doesn't have to put up with that. And invest in a copy of the standard so that you can verify exactly what your birds are supposed to look like, and have the proof in your hot little hands, if needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by