It was raining day-old chicks!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by henjoy, Apr 19, 2009.

1. henjoy

henjoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    Yesterday it was a beautiful day to be outside so I spent the afternoon shearing my sheep. I had to pass by the coop several times and one time I heard a chick peeping. Because I have some 5 week olds in my outside brooder, I assumed one of them had somehow escaped. I searched around and found no one out of place. Several trips later, I heard the peeping again. After a very thorough search, I found one day-old-looking chick. Since there was only one and I hadn't found anyone setting, I was mystified. At that point both my DH and I quit shearing sheep and went on a hunt. It turned out that my almost 1 year old Dorking hen had flown/jumped up into the attic of our barn by means of a no longer used hay feeder for horses. She was ready to bring her chicks down to the flock and, of course, the only way to get down was through the hole in the attic floor where she had gone up. All of the chicks made it to the bottom of the feeder and then to the floor without injury. I climbed up to the attic and there found her nest and some eggs that hadn't hatched. I put her and her chicks a small inside pen. She is a excellent mother. The moral of the story: Never underestimate the ingenuity of a broody hen.

2. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Wow, how amazing they are! I hope you post pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by