It will work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muus, Dec 29, 2013.

1. muus

muus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2013
    Hello
    I want to do my own incubator but i have some questions about it.
    I have a hydrocable, a cable can use in terrariums and aquariums, but only makes heat and i think that it's a heat source that i can use in my incubator. The last year, i incubate for 10 days, two king quail eggs, they didn't hatch because i removed the electrical power, but when i broke the eggs, they were the embryos.
    I just used the cable to heat the aquarium (thats what i use to do the incubator) and i d'ont know the temperature(i don't have any thermometer in home who runs well) but the humidity marked 50% with only a small plastic with water.
    I think, i am going to put water in the aquarium and put over that a tray. To increase the humidity, i think i'm going to put the cable in the lower part of the aquarium and i will regulate puting more or less water.
    In this homemade incubator I am going to use only an aquarium, the hydrocable and a thermohygrometer(this i need to buy it)
    Tomorrow I will measure the humidity and the themperature well. If it have a good mark by 37ºC or 38, I think i won't need to buy an incubator.
    What you think about this?
    Happy new year and thanks[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  2. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    Hi
    I have seen the temperature and the humidity and it marks 37,5ºC(99ºf), 70% with the cable in the water and 50%without the cable in the water. I think it's good to incubate eggs. Now I only need to ensure the temperature and humidity with a digital termohyrgometer.
    What do you think about it?
    Thanks

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I think your humidity is too high. People use homemade incubators all the time. A range of humidity used is 30-50% for first 18 days. It's a large range as there are many opinions and some say it has to do with the humidity in your home too. Either way the humidity for first 18 days is relative to the air cell growth in egg. You candle to monitor it's size and if too far off from diagram adjust humidity (less for more growth, more humidity for less growth). I'd start with a target humidity of 35-40%. At 35% I don't have to adjust it at all for good air cell growth.

[​IMG]

4. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    I'm going to incubate the next week eggs of quails to see if it works. In time, I will incubate geese and duck eggs.
    I think the parameters you gived to me are for chiken. But maybe I'll have silkie eggs.
    Thanks

5. muus

Dec 16, 2013
    About the parameters of incubating eggs, are not the same in Spain or latino America than in America or England.
    Chicken humidity is about 50% and 70% the 3 last days. And I reed that you let it at 30% and 50% the 3 last days. And the two one are correct. You hatch and we hatch eggs, i don't know why?
    I think i'm going to put the thermohygrometer in the vent of a chiken an se the humidity an temperature exactly like the nature.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by