it won't effect them will it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducklove334, May 4, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I took the four eggs out from under the broody hen, they arn't hers, they're cochin and whatever else eggs we got from a breeder, they hatch in 4 days, will it effect them if I put them in the turner for one more day?, because tomorrow I just have to take them right back out. I wasn't sure how the position change would do to them?

I don't wanna kill em so close to hatch!

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    WHY would you remove eggs from under a broody hen so close to hatching????? The hen would be a much better mother than you or I or any other human could ever be. I would put the eggs back under the hen. And---no, if you continue to turn eggs even when hatching, they will do fine.

3. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I took them from her BECAUSE they were not hers, as I said, she had her OWN two eggs, wich have HATCHED, if she were to stay on the rest, those two chicks would die [​IMG]

not meaning to be rude, maybe I wasn't clear,we're letting her keep her two chicks, the other eggs wich were put under her a few days after she started brooding her own, we had intended to take anyway and continue thier incubation in the incubator, thats the ONLY reason I took them, is because they are so close.

but you are right, we've had alot more sucess with Broodies hatching chicks. but we've got eggs in the bator due to hatch as well.

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Sorry, I didn't realize that the hen already had chicks. Makes more sense to me now. Again, it won't hurt the eggs to be turned if you need to keep them in the incubator a little longer. When hens are hatching eggs, they turn them even during the hatching process. Doesn't hurt them a bit. I suspect that the main reason for removing chicks from the turners is to prevent injury to the chicks after they hatch. Many turners catch the tiny legs and heads of the chicks, and injure or kill them if they are not removed. Good luck!

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    No need to put in the turner,no harm if you do, you maybe able to put them back under the hen after they hatch, do so at night. as soon as they hatch,so they will imprint to her.
    Hens can brood more chicks than eggs they set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by