It worked, it WORKED! I got an EGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by StarLover21, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Sage, the white leghorn, 31 weeks

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  2. Asha or Buckbeak, the black sex links, 22 weeks

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Luna, red sex link, 6-8 years

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  4. Redtail, new hampsire, 6-8 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    So so so exited! After maybe four months of no eggs, I got my first one today!!!!! However, there is a mystery to this egg- who layed it? I have a prime suspect, but I'm setting up a poll here. You can vote based on my information.
    I have five chickens. One red sex link, who is 6-8 years old. She's my primary suspect. I have a production red who's the same age. I also have two 22 week old black sex links, who, so far have not layed any confirmed eggs. My last chicken is my 32 week old white leghorn, who should lay white eggs, who has not layed yet.
    So, today I went out there with an egg, and to put it in the nest box. I wanted to check to make sure they weren't eating their eggs (I know, desperate, huh?). And was I so surprised when there was an egg, a GORGEOUS egg!!!! So so so so so so so happy! It's BIG. And BROWN.
    Now, three days ago, I gave them all cayenne pepper. I heard this could help them start laying! I'm so happy! IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I don't think it was redtail- she lays darker brown eggs, with speckles.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So, here's some bad pictures of the suspects: All the pictures are from today or within a few days.

Sage, white leghorn, white egg layer:

[​IMG]

Asha, black sex link:
    And I don't have a picture of her sister, but she looks exactly the same. Same comb growth.
    [​IMG]

Luna, prime suspect, red sex link:

[​IMG]

And a horrible picture of the new hampsire, redtail. Her comb in full light is shriveled, and purpleish.

[​IMG]

And here's the egg. It's the big brown one:

[​IMG]

What do you think?

2. i looked it up! red sex link! [​IMG]

3. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Only one out of ten people who veiwed this voted...

4. DelDels

DelDels Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2011
    Lower Slower Delaware
    I didn't vote because I don't know but would think it's Luna. Anyway congratulations and hope the others will start soon!

5. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Thanks!

6. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    I noticed two people voted for black sex link- (i'm not challenging you or anything), I'm just wondering, do black sex links not get big combs? Maybe that's it? Or am I just kinda in the mindset that big red comb means eggs. Also- if it were sage, how would that work? She's from McMurray, btw.

7. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Oh, and is there any way I can tell for sure? I don't have food coloring- would the gel you use to color fondont work?

8. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    ?

9. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    You'll catch her in the next box eventually...also, who is singing the egg song and who squats for you?

10. StarLover21

Oct 11, 2011
    Nobody sung the egg song as far as I heard. And nobody's squatting either. I have messed up chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by