IT WORKED! THANK YOU! The Dog Crate WORKED!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Astrid, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    Buff Hen is over her bad self after three days as a Jail Bird (pun intended! Ouch!) in a dog crate.

Fingers crossed the she doesn't relapse.

Hey, quick question. I let her out of the crate last night, and this morning there were two big "puddles" for lack of a better term that were full of what looked like yolk and white. Maybe eggs with no shell? But they were on the shelf where they roost, not anyplace that they lay eggs. Also, behind those two puddles, in the crack between the shelf and the wall, as an egg. Cracked from it's less-than-graceful exit, but it had a shell. Could this be from the formerly broody hen? Is it normal? She seems to be fine, otherwise, and I can't even really be sure it was Miss Broody.

What do you think?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I was wondering if you'd gotten any answers to your post? I'm assuming that she was a broody that you were able to stop by using the dog kennel idea? That's great to know as so many people are looking for something that stops broodies.

I have no idea about the egg issues. Keep a watch for more incomplete eggs, hopefully whatever was going on with that hen is over and you'll get 'real' eggs from now on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by