It worked !!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    WOW !!!!! I am so excited !!!!! I bought a new flashlight(80 lumens) and I candled my 10 green EE eggs and saw babies in everyone of them! I also have 2 white leghorn eggs and they have babies in them( I could see them with my old,cheaper flashlight from the beginning) So, hatching days will be May 4th and 5th! WOOOO HOOOOO !!!! I can't wait. I hope everything goes well and I get 12 babies !!!!

2. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Congratulations! How exiting for you.

3. rockyroo

rockyroo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    u r now addicted lol

4. Keisha

Keisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Iowa
    Where did you buy it and what kind is it ?
    Congratz by the way [​IMG]

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    lol..I've been addicted since before I even bought my chickens lol...here's a little story(I'm sure lots of kids have tried this).When I was a little girl,I was(and still am) facinated with eggs. I took a chicken egg from the fridge and put it in a small tin can after putting some doll clothes in it before the egg. I brought it out onto our front step and put it down on the top step and then sat on it...hoping I could hatch it. I'm not sure what happened after that, just know that it didn't work. Of course I was too young to understand about fertile and unfertile then. I guess I figure if a hen could sit on her eggs and hatch them, so could I. lol...Several other times,when I have seen eggs, I thought of taking one and trying to hatch it. Now that I am an adult....my dream has come true. Oh and by the way, tonight is the first time I saw inside of my green eggs....couldn't before. I got the flashlight from Canadian Tire and it was $40. It's called Duracell DAYLITE led flashlight. I had to get the angle right on the egg first. I held the light by the air sac and angled the point of the egg a bit upwards..I got to even see the veins clearly and in one egg I got to see little feet!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] So eggciting..good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

Jody

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Thank you so much... it is SOOOOOO exciting!!!!

8. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:You have made me laugh at an old memory- I remember stealing a neighbors duck egg and trying to hatch it on a heating pad in my closet...nobody knew. It didn't work. [​IMG] I was perhaps seven- way old enough to know better than to steal, but still young enough to hope.

Last year, my daughter who is ten, took eggs from my brother in laws, and hid them in her sock drawer. Didn't tell me- but started asking me all sorts of questions: How long does it take for a chicken to hatch? How do you know when they are ready? Etc. etc. After each question, she would run back to her room...I put 2 and 2 together, and sure enough-she confessed.

Good luck on your hatch.

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Awww well that makes me feel better knowing that I wasn't the only kid who tried to hatch an egg. Thank you all very much and good luck with your hatches too!!!! [​IMG]

10. kaacres

kaacres Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL Things we do as children!!!! At least you all tried to hatch eggs.

When I was little we would have a contest everytime we went to my grandparents. We would see who could gather the most acorns. Well since I was the youngest I never won. But appearantly I was the smartest (not really). After once again losing I kept all of my acorns and took them home. I put them all in the bottom drawer of my dresser, so I would be ahead the next time! Needless to say everyone was on to me when they were trying to figure out where all these little worms were coming from. [​IMG]

I don't know why but we didn't play that game anymore.

Good luck on your hatch. Just had our first ever this morning. I stayed up all night watching and of course he did the biggest part after I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by