Italian Quail, Japanese Quail? Both Coturnix???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bowlzie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Bowlzie

Bowlzie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi,
    I've just purchased 18 quail eggs,
    6 labled coturnix
    and 12 a mix between japanese and italian quail.

All are members of Corturnix C. But that makes me think:

1.what the hell are the first six?
    2.How am I going to tell the italian and the japanese apart? (all the eggs look the same, and there are loads of differant colour phases)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:Italian is a colour of Coturnix. Chances are good the "coturnix" are the Pharaoh colour and the mix of "japanese" and "italian" are from pens with both Pharaoh and Italian coloured parents.

Don't worry, they're all the same thing, just different colours.
    -Spooky

3. Bowlzie

Dec 30, 2008
    Quote:Italian is a colour of Coturnix. Chances are good the "coturnix" are the Pharaoh colour and the mix of "japanese" and "italian" are from pens with both Pharaoh and Italian coloured parents.

Don't worry, they're all the same thing, just different colours.
    -Spooky

thanks for that, so they are all the same species and have just been geneticly modified for differant colour variations!! I'm good at this stuff!!![​IMG]

4. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    Quote:They've been bred for colour mutations, yes. Monarc has a good post on here with pictures of the various colours. If you do a search on 'Coturnix colors' you should find it.
    -Spooky

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:They've been bred for colour mutations, yes. Monarc has a good post on here with pictures of the various colours. If you do a search on 'Coturnix colors' you should find it.
    -Spooky

Yep I've got nada more to add here and as Spooky mentioned you can visit my post about Coturnix info and colors n whatever else...if you have any quesitions still just post back here or there whereever we'll see it! [​IMG]

My post is below in my signature [​IMG]

Thanks Spooky [​IMG]

6. Bowlzie

Dec 30, 2008
    -Spooky

Yep I've got nada more to add here and as Spooky mentioned you can visit my post about Coturnix info and colors n whatever else...if you have any quesitions still just post back here or there whereever we'll see it! [​IMG]

My post is below in my signature [​IMG]

Thanks Spooky [​IMG]

thankyou!! I read your post yesterday!! Very informative!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by