Italian quail? Who has them and how do they compare?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by exop, Jan 24, 2011.

1. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Was looking at quail just recently and I wondered about the Italian variety. The markings are beautiful, but the catalog I was reading had nothing to say about their hardiness or productivity. Does anyone here raise these little guys?

Best - exop

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have just separated my Italians from my Manchurian Goldens so it will be a little bit before I offer eggs.

They are just a color variety of the Coturnix. Same productivity as any other Coturnix. Some are large and some are small. Selective breeding takes place to get your jumbos or XL.

3. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Just curious Quaillady. I was wondering what are the differences in the Goldens and Manchurians. I always thought they were the same. [​IMG]

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:so did i....

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I thought they were the same until this

[​IMG]

They both have the FAWN gene. The Italian occurred after mating back with the Browns more. So the more lethal is the Manchurian. The Italians shouldn't be as lethal.

And then I did several matings and it really differentiates the two colors. The Manchurian Gold is more yellow whereas the Italian is a cream base with the brown "v" markings on the back feathers and the speckles on the chest (if female). The photo is of two hens [​IMG]

6. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:Manchurian are more aggressive lethal?

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    If you breed a manchurian to a manchurian there is a lethal gene that can kill your offspring.

vicky1212123 likes this.
  8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:no... the chicks will develop in the egg but will never hatch, they just die in the shell. If they hatch, they are good to go.

9. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    Quote:Thanks I will make a note of that. So what if I breed a Manchurian with a Italian? Will it have the same effects?

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It's less of an effect because that was what I was doing and had great results LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by