italianos? italian americans? anyone?

shadowpaints

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I am 1/2 Italian and pretty fluent in Italian. my Nonna(grandmother) and her mother moved here from italy when Nonna was 2 years old i think? cant remember for sure. as kids we were all pretty fluent in Italian, because of our great grandma. when she died we all just kind of quit speaking it. now, that was 12 years ago and i dont remember much.. i have been known to accidently speak sentenced with several italian words thrown in, LOL not on purpose tho! i have decided to start learning Italian again, hoping that it comes back fast since it was pretty much a second language when i was a kid

just kinda wondering if there were any Italianos out there
smile.png

You found one here, my family is 100% full blooded or most say hot blooded sicilian. I was born in Palermo sicily and came to Ellis Island NY in the early 50's. We spoke Italian everyday but we had to learn english at the behest of my father so that we could become americanized better, I don't speak much anymore but like you can speak flurries of it when I am angry LOL. When I go home to Chicago and I get in the mood again after a few day's it all comes back complete with hand gestures an accent LOL.

Faget abot itt

Last edited:
I remember a bit, Nona (great grandmother) mostly swore in it and used it to mutter things under her breath, instead of being used daily. I find I read better then I can speak it. My grandmother was 3 when they came over after ww2 left Nona widowed, she remarried an american and brought my grandmother and her sister over.

I have been back there several times while in the army stationed in Germany, it sure was fun meeting people who knew me but I didn't know them and we were all related.

I knew the cooking thing would come into this sooner than later LOL.

lol i can make pasta pretty well, and garlic is a must! ticks me off too when someone puts cottage cheese and hamburger in lasagne, lol

Quote:
lol tonight was ravioli, from scratch. When my son was small, her thought the lady on the pasta box was "mommy".

Yes it's so bad here I have to make my own ricotta cause I can't get anything that even resembles the good stuff from back home.

Back
Top Bottom