Itching Chickens.

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
I am at a loss. I have 5 orpingtons. They scratch all the time. I have looked at night with a flashlight, NOTHING, I have looked around there vent, feathers, feet, Combs, ears and I see nothing. This is the second week I have cleaned coop down emptied and dusted my girls. I used 7 dust on week, Permethrin the 2nd. I used Permethrin in coop, run, and perimeter. They still sit and scratch!!!!
They are healthy, eat and drink well. I feed natural egg pellets16%. I give them a few mealworms about 3x a week and a hand full of corn daily between them. I change water daily with Apple Cider vinager, 2 tablespoons.
They have a run 40x12 and a pen 12x12 plus their coop with is 6x 3 1/2. I am in the process of building a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 and 6 ft tall. I have 3 dust baths and 3 laying boxes. They have toys, mirrors, roosts, bicycles tire hanging for a merry-go-round so I don't think they are bored. I also have wormed them and use DE in dust baths, litter and a dab in laying boxes.. Is there something I am doing wrong? I can't stand to see them scratching themselves all the time. It hurts my heart!

I am at a loss. I have 5 orpingtons. They scratch all the time. I have looked at night with a flashlight, NOTHING, I have looked around there vent, feathers, feet, Combs, ears and I see nothing. This is the second week I have cleaned coop down emptied and dusted my girls. I used 7 dust on week, Permethrin the 2nd. I used Permethrin in coop, run, and perimeter. They still sit and scratch!!!!
They are healthy, eat and drink well. I feed natural egg pellets16%. I give them a few mealworms about 3x a week and a hand full of corn daily between them. I change water daily with Apple Cider vinager, 2 tablespoons.
They have a run 40x12 and a pen 12x12 plus their coop with is 6x 3 1/2. I am in the process of building a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 and 6 ft tall. I have 3 dust baths and 3 laying boxes. They have toys, mirrors, roosts, bicycles tire hanging for a merry-go-round so I don't think they are bored. I also have wormed them and use DE in dust baths, litter and a dab in laying boxes.. Is there something I am doing wrong? I can't stand to see them scratching themselves all the time. It hurts my heart!
could it be mites/lice? Make sure to keep the coop clean to help prevent that

It could be from molting. Since you're not seeing any pests, take some paper towels and wipe their roost on and under after they go to roost. If there are mites you may see streaks on the paper towel. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. Some mites only come out at night and feed on the birds. In my opinion DE is worthless. I've used it plenty in the past and it had no affect. Poultry dust and permethrin work best. Also if you do discover any pests, originally when I mixed my concentrate I wasn't mixing it strong enough and it wasn't doing the job. After some research I found that making it stronger according to the info I found worked much better but it does take 3 or 4 weekly treatments as it does not kill the pests eggs but will as they hatch out. Good luck...
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4
  • MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    Permethrin10Concentrate.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 4
I don't know how long you've had chickens, so I don't mean this question to be insulting, but do you know what it looks like when chickens preen themselves? It could be that they're not actually itchy but just trying to groom.

I have dealt with some of the birds excessively preening before. Once I discovered some lice and another time mites. I didn't see any mites on the birds during the day but when I put my headlamp on and went out to the coops after they went to roost I discovered they were loaded so started treating the next day.

Are these hens, or pullets their first year? hens, and a few pullets might be going into molt, and will preen more than usual. Also, that 16% protein diet is marginal for big birds like yours, especially with the added goodies you are feeding. Consider changing to an all-flock diet, 18% or better yet, 20% protein, with separate oyster shell.
Mary

It could be from molting. Since you're not seeing any pests, take some paper towels and wipe their roost on and under after they go to roost. If there are mites you may see streaks on the paper towel. I use a headlamp so I have both of my hands free to inspect the birds. Some mites only come out at night and feed on the birds. In my opinion DE is worthless. I've used it plenty in the past and it had no affect. Poultry dust and permethrin work best. Also if you do discover any pests, originally when I mixed my concentrate I wasn't mixing it strong enough and it wasn't doing the job. After some research I found that making it stronger according to the info I found worked much better but it does take 3 or 4 weekly treatments as it does not kill the pests eggs but will as they hatch out. Good luck...
View attachment 2856130
I just ordered Permetherin 38.8%. I found fleas on my neighbor's dog this morning. Can chickens get fleas from dogs? And if so, what can I do about it?

Are these hens, or pullets their first year? hens, and a few pullets might be going into molt, and will preen more than usual. Also, that 16% protein diet is marginal for big birds like yours, especially with the added goodies you are feeding. Consider changing to an all-flock diet, 18% or better yet, 20% protein, with separate oyster shell.
Mary
Ok I will change the food. They are a little over six months. 3 just started laying in the last 2 weeks and 2 has not. They have free choice on oyster shells and grit.

I have dealt with some of the birds excessively preening before. Once I discovered some lice and another time mites. I didn't see any mites on the birds during the day but when I put my headlamp on and went out to the coops after they went to roost I discovered they were loaded so started treating the next day.
Hubby and I looked at night with a light. We saw nothing

Back
Top Bottom