Itchy chick?

Shohanna

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Little background....using a Reptipro 6000. Am pretty experienced at raising chicks but usually raid the nest after the hen is done and take the leftover eggs. Just doesn't seem right to leave them. That being said I'm learning a lot about incubating and of course making many mistakes. I think my issue is humidity but hopefully have solved that. Had three chicks so far begin to hatch and have had to help each one. First one died on second day but I am pretty sure that was my mistake ( and I know better). Second one is now two days old and needed total assistance to make it out. Of course feet are curled but getting better quickly. What I noticed and have never seen before is that it will suddenly starts itching frantically at its head. To the point that it's rolling all around. I put some ointment on some spots I thought looked sticky and helped a little. Thought the problem was solved and then noticed it again tonight. Acts like a dog with bad fleas! I replaced the sugar water with plain as I thought it may add to the stickiness. Anyone know what this is or what I can do to help it? Thanks in advance.

I have heard that when chicks are wearing corrective boots or sandals (to fix curled toes or whatever), they will need to be itched by you all around their head or the skin can get irritated and even grow sores from lack of skin stimulation.

Is your chick wearing anything to fix it's toes? Maybe it's toes are curled so it can't get "the right spot" of the itch? Do you ever help it scratch itself? Is the chick around adult birds where it could pick up mites or lice? They are VERY very small and hard to see..

the 2 links in my signature have awesome information about hatching, I highly recommend them, hope it can help for your future hatches :)

I put booties on and then removed them the following morning as it seemed to really bother it. I'm surprise to be saying that both issues are almost non existent this evening. Holding my breath but I think it's made a turn for the better. I have always said it the miracle of the third day. I have seen so many struggle and then be perfectly fine by their third day. I have just never witnessed one behave like that. Did a little more digging and many believe its neurological, I'm kinda leaning towards that too. Just gotta get its "wires" straight ! Hopefully we are on the upswing. I feel very bad that it is alone. I have two that are scheduled to hatch tomorrow but haven't heard or seen any activity...:rolleyes:

I just had a chick get wry neck which is also neurological, if you think you have something neuro now, it couldn't help to administer concentrated vitamins now (this is the treatment for wry neck). I used nutri-drench, but there are other products at the feed store such as Poly Vi Sol that are the same thing. always good to have on hand :)

glad to hear he/she is doing better! somtimes giving it time really is the best thing!

on the booties... I had one chick refuse to wear hers... she has a curled middle toe to this day. her name is Captain Hook. The other chicks toes were all corrected, but she removed it every day, and so I gave up and now she has a deformed toe. I wish I had spent more time trying to fix it, but we are all busy with our lives so you do what you can... but keep trying on the bootie... i wish I had lol

I cut a piece of cardboard (thin kind) and I use a bandaid to stick the toes to it, then I trim it really small so they can walk.

Last edited:
Love the name! Her/his toes look really good today and I haven't seen any sign of the itch twitch. It's so cute! Very feisty too. I am still trying to get my incubator straight. Tonight I candled my 7 day old batch and saw a lot of activity. I am trying to dry hatch to hopefully correct the issues I experienced. I'm also opening It often. The two I thought were going to hatch show no signs and today is the 21st day......was so hoping to give the new one a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom