Itchy chicks and chick with crooked feet. Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by slaird61, Oct 29, 2010.

1. slaird61

slaird61 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    I just received 15 chicks from Ideal yesterday and it's my first time ever to order chicks. I have a couple of questions. All the chicks seem itchy because they are always scratching at themselves and preening (or that's what it looks like even though they don't have feathers). What's going on? Do they have mites? If so, how can I treat them? Another thing I noticed is one of the black sex link pullets has crooked feet. Her toes curl in almost like she's trying to hold something. Can this be fixed and will it effect her quality of life?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello-

Chicks do alot of preening, but what you need to do is just pick them up and look through their fluff real good to see if there are any mites or lice. If there is, just powder them up with some Seven Dust, and all will be well. I believe you have to repeat the process in appx 10 days. They may be just fine though, chicks do alot of preening and scratching, that's for sure. I've never rec'd any chicks from the hatchery with parasites before.

As far as the chick with the crooked feet. One thing a friend of mine did, was tape a coin, like a dime to the bottom of the chick's feet to act as a brace and hold the toes flat. Sort of like little booties. Since the chick is young, if you do it quickly, you can straighten out those crooked toes sometimes.

Good luck!

Sharon

3. slaird61

Sep 20, 2010
    Thank you!

4. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    You can also use pipe cleaners to build a boot for the chick with the crooked toe.

5. slaird61

Sep 20, 2010
    How do I do that?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by