Itchy face

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by okiegirl47, Oct 4, 2013.

1. okiegirl47

okiegirl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    My buff orp pullet has been scratching her face around her beak and eyes. Although it doesn't bleed, I can tell she is very irritated and the area is always red. I've tried antibiotic ointment and diatomaceous earth but neither have been effective. Can anyone tell me what this might be and what I can do to ease her symptoms? I also don't see any evidence of mites or other critters on her.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she have any problems with her eyes? I would dust her as a precaution with sevindust for lice/mites. Eye worm which is rare can cause extreme itching, and sometimes the chicken will scratch out their eyes. It is carried by a certain kind of cockroach especially in the south. Here is a thread about it: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/637690/eye-worm-or-just-an-infection

3. okiegirl47

okiegirl47 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2013
    Hi Eggcessive, her eyes look fine and don't seem to be effected. It's just her skin around her beak and her eyes that gets red. There aren't any sores or scratches but I have watched her scratch her face with her feet and by rubbing it on whatever she can find but the most damage she's done is a little scuff on her beak. Hard to get her to keep still for me to apply anything to effected skin too. Any suggestions you have would be helpful. I'm willing to try anything at this point, I just want to get her some relief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by