Itchy scratches on dog. Homemade Anti-itch and Anti-lick.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Thejperez, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    My dog Karma, a blind Bulldog/Pit Bull mix, ran into some blackberry bush's and got some scratches on her underarms and belly. She has been itching and licking excessively at the scratches and I'm worried about infection. What are some homemade Anti-itch and Anti-lick remedies?

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wouldn't put anything topical on the scratches, but if she is licking them excessively, I would try a t shirt over her body or even an e-collar until they heal a bit. If you use anything topical, you run the risk of it either not being safe or that she would lick it off anyway.

3. Thejperez

Thejperez Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Florida
    Thats probably a good idea, but....... like I said she's blind. She doesn't like anything restrictive, it nearly scares her to death. I was thinking about putting some basil paste on her. She only licks the cuts on her arms, and I read that basil can help with the itchy-ness and swelling. Also its not poisonous to dogs and I have a bail plant.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    A bit late, but...

I have a similar mix we recently adopted that is allergic to fleas. His previous owner let his flea meds slip and he'd been scratching himself bald and chewing until he drew blood. I've been spraying him down with a 50/50 mix of unpasturized apple cider vinegar and water (rub it into the skin as well). The change has been amazing! He's not chewing himself bloody and his hair is growing back already. And, if they lick it off, no big deal. Another plus, it helps deodorize them too. Win-win!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by