Itchy Silkie :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicnchic, May 9, 2011.

1. chicnchic

chicnchic Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    NH
    I am stumped.....a newbie too so that's not sayin much! {{{chuckle}}} [​IMG]
    I have a very sweet lil Silkie hen who started itching a couple of weeks ago. [​IMG] I immediately separated her (none of the others is having a problem even now) and dusted her thoroughly with Sevin....and then did it again a couple of days later.....a week later she was STILL itching....I found some DE and lined her crate with it, added a few shavings, and dusted her thoroughly with it....and repeated the process a couple of days later....she seems to be itching LESS, but that's not saying much either....her crate is now lined with feathers she's broken off....and she is at herself between her legs so much she falls over! I put her in a cage outside this morning hoping that fresh air and some grass might at least distract her a bit.... HELP!! [​IMG]
    I have checked numerous times and see no "creepy crawlies" at all! I really am at a loss! [​IMG] I am about ready to cull her just to end her misery! Any ideas??

2. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    I would have suggested dusting her with DE and cleaning out her coop and dusting it with DE, too, but you've already done that. I don't know what to do except give you a bump with this comment. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in and offer some help. Hang in there.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  3. chicnchic

May 1, 2010
    NH
    Thanks Katydid [​IMG] She does seem to be a bit less itchy today, out in the sunshine and breeze...I just feel soooo bad for her! I HATE to itch....it makes me crazy!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

The
    life cycle of mites and lice is such that you haven't yet treated to get the hatching eggs.

I have successfully used sevin dust and poultry dust (permethrin) for mites. I now use DE as a preventative.

I searched and searched my chickens for mites, and only found them on ME, biting ME. That is how I identified the Northern Fowl mite. The songbirds bring them in.

My chickens shake their heads every 5-15 seconds when the mite load gets bad, and I get itchy myself when caring for them. Two rounds of sevin dust, 10 days apart, and presto!

GONE! [​IMG]

Make sure you use proper precautions- mask, long sleeves, take a shower, use a tied off sock or stocking as a powder puff to get under the wings.

You can also put poultry dust in a dust bath you make for them, and they will do it themselves.

I have read about a one week withdrawal period for the eggs (tossing the eggs) with sevin dust:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491429&p=2
    see these posts

5. chicnchic

May 1, 2010
    NH
    Quote:Thanks....can't 'hoit' right? [​IMG] I'll dust her in Sevin again, and put her back in a disinfected crate generously dusted with DE......Please PRAY!! Poor lil thing [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Please note that I edited my above post to include more information. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by