1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Itchy

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MayberrySaint, May 1, 2007.

1. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    I had two cockerels that got feather picked bad today. Guess it was the hot weather in the coop. Outside run isn't ready yet...[​IMG]
    So what do I do??? Put the 2 of them in the yard to free-range. Dusk comes and one comes right up to me and jumps in my arms saying "it's gettin' dark, please put me in the coop". No problem...however, his partner in crime is not so helpful. Under the coop, around the coop, through the yard, under the bush and finally...under a big bush surrounded by a patch of poison ivy. After crawling through the ivy and under the bush and around the bush and through the bush and all in the poison again...I finally corner him against a chain link fence!!! I have a bad feeling about tonight...I am itchy already...[​IMG]

Andy

2. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    Scrub yourself with Fels Naptha soap. ASAP!! Good luck!

3. Llysse

Llysse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Oooh, I am itchy just reading about it.

:thun

4. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i agree use the fels napp soap i does wonders, believe me when i get it , even if it is on my toes, i always wake up the next morning with my face swollen 3 yes 3 ! times its size

5. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    Funny, I'm scratching mine right now. Misery loves company. Wish I had some Fels whatever.
    Dee

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Thanks for the advice...I showered and used a combo of soap and bleach. Will try and find that soap at the drugstore.

Andy

7. Finch

Finch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2007
    I don't think it's a drug store kind of item. You can usually find it in a super market, in the laundry soap section. It comes in a bar, nothing fancy, and don't expect it to smell particularly chic! But it does the job! I keep my bar of it handy all summer.[​IMG]

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Naughty roo![​IMG]
    Eeeeeh. I always go for good old Calamine lotion.
    If you want to go more natural, you can make a poultice of crushed oatmeal and baking soda, or just pour it into your tub.

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Those darn roos !! I hope you don't get it too bad.
    It has been rather hot for this time of year.Too soon for me,we were up in the 80's & way too humid.
    Hope ya get to feeling better,Miriam

10. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    You get poison Ivy from the oil of the plant. Dawn dishwashing soap and warm water work great. Wash as soon as possible. I have aleady gotten it 2 times this spring chasing chickens. The last time used dawn, did'nt get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by