Items stolen/Trespassing - Progress on our fence *pics post 91*

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by ChevygirlBeth, May 3, 2009.

1. ChevygirlBeth

ChevygirlBeth Chillin' With My Peeps

I know we haven't lived here long, but I felt safe here. The neighbors I had met were nice and we hadn't had any trouble with anyone.

Yesterday we came home from watching my BIL compete at the Special Olympics to find that our 4-wheeler and our chainsaw were gone! Someone had cut the lock off the door and taken them! It had one of those heavy round locks that you can't cut, so they cut the part of the latch that the lock went through.
    [​IMG]

I called the sheriff's office and filed a report, but they didn't come out or anything. We talked to a few neighbors and one guy mentioned seeing a strange truck drive through our field (behind his house) and on back the oil well road. So, we're thinking it is possible that that truck has something to do with it... neither of us were home at the time he saw that truck. We went for a walk with our neighbor and figured out that they had come in on the oil well road which does go through near where the shed sits. They went on back the oil well road until they figured out that they couldn't get out that way, turned around, and came back out the road. While we were walking, we noticed where there has also been a 4 wheeler coming onto our property from a neighbor where the oil well road passes near the property line. It didn't look like the tread pattern from ours.

Whoever did this has to be from around here. They had to have watched us and known what we have, where we keep things, and when we are home. They left another 4 wheeler in the shed (DH's little sport quad... they of course stole my utility that we use ALL the time)... that's why I feel that they knew what they were after. So, if they knew all this, then they're also aware that my husband works midnights and I am here all alone. Just a little while ago I heard someone yell outside and the dogs went crazy. It really scared me. It sucks that we lost "stuff," but hopefully the insurance will cover it... I'm more upset that I lost my sense of security.

I'm really trying to decide what to do now. We have been planning to build fence for our cows, but now I'm thinking I need some woven wire fence on the property line (I know they can still cut through it, but it's more hassle than just the 4 strands of high tensile that I had planned) and a locked gate at the entrance to the oil well road. I've even considered getting several of those deer cameras and setting them up to keep an eye on who is coming and going on our property. We did start working today to get good wiring to the motion light on the shed (the old wiring was no good, so we dug it up and hopefully tomorrow night we will be burying the new line).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry this happened to you. Being robbed is awful, I've experienced it before and it feels like such a personal violation... hard to explain, isn't it? [​IMG]

3. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Going through that where we live now--get a good safety system installed NOW--including infrared cameras outside. It's the best thing you can do.
    Loud noisy dogs help too.. we have 3 & we think that's why we've escaped so far.

4. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I think motion sensing yard lights would be a good plan too. Keep an eye out for anyone trying to sell your stuff and alert any local auction houses too. Also, keep an eye out on Ebay. [​IMG]

5. ChevygirlBeth

Thanks Robin's Brood... you've got it right on! Thanks for the hugs! I can use those right now!!

Thanks Terri. I've been researching security systems... I don't know enough yet to know what we really need. We do have noisy dogs AND the guineas, so there was surely a lot of noise and that didn't deter them!

Preppy*hippie*chick, we are working on fixing the motion light on the shed and I told DH that we will be buying new ones to replace the ones on our house that don't seem to work (they only come on once in a blue moon, no matter how I adjust the settings on them). I think I'll feel safer having those around!

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  6. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Also, have you had any contractors on your property? My dad had a bunch of work done at his place and shortly thereafter his chainsaw and his golf clubs were stolen as well as some tools. He's quite a recluse and many of those guys who do that sort of work have a criminal past. Lots of the guys on that crew did and it was a VERY reputable contractor.

7. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    [​IMG]:hugs Wow I'm sorry that is awful. I agree on the dogs and the fencing. My dogs really make me feel safe when I'm alone.

Nancy

8. ChevygirlBeth

preppy*hippie*chick :

Also, have you had any contractors on your property? My dad had a bunch of work done at his place and shortly thereafter his chainsaw and his golf clubs were stolen as well as some tools. He's quite a recluse and many of those guys who do that sort of work have a criminal past. Lots of the guys on that crew did and it was a VERY reputable contractor.

Nope, my family has helped us do all the work around here (anything that we can't do ourselves). We have a feeling it was one of the groups of partiers/druggies up the twp road nearby (we didn't know we had neighbors like that until we got talking to other neighbors asking if they had noticed anyone around). Everyone figures one of the groups stole the stuff to resell for drug money. I refuse to point fingers at anyone because I don't know all of them, but I am keeping an eye on them just in case now that we know which houses they live in.​

9. ChevygirlBeth

Thank you Nancy. My dogs are laying here next to me. [​IMG]

10. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Get yourself some Great Pyrenees dogs. Very big and very protective of your livestock and property.

This is Sophie she is about 130 lbs. She is one of six we use.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by