1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ITL and moving State to State

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ch1ckSis, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Ch1ckSis

Ch1ckSis New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    Hello, my sister lives in Md. and I live in Va. And I have read a load about ITL. One of my chicken's died of it. I am not sure what type of chicken it was, but I do know this. My sister and I went to a swap in Md. and one of her coop mates got a chicken there and that is what gave it to her.

Very sad case. I know that my sister has Ameracaunas(?) and a few others. This coop mate who is supposed to be bird expert did things wrong in my opinion. First, she did not quarantine the bird. Second, she is not taking the blame. Third, she and the other coop mate are not being very
    Quote:
    They are letting things go lax. This I am getting from my sister. We both grew up in the country. We both have eating eggs that are farm fresh and I know I have killed a chicken or two. These chickens are layers. I understand that the flock may have to be culled. No problem there.

The real problem comes from moving her chickens from her state to my state. I haven't found any info on that. And please don't tell me to check with my Ag. I have tried every which way. And they won't give out that info. At all.

Please help.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It is a reportable disease in most states and I believe it is in MD so probably is in VA also.
    There are a few vaccines available. Eye drops, injectable and for large flocks a mist to spray the whole building.

People who don't quarantine tend to be in denial.

3. Ch1ckSis

Ch1ckSis New Egg

Oct 12, 2013
    That would have been good but they already have it my sister thinks.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by