It's 1:45 in the morning....

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by gritsar, Dec 15, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I took my new "super improved" sleep med. at 10 PM. Yep doc, I think this one is an epic fail! [​IMG]

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I've been making rice pudding for the last three hours. My fridge is full of it now. Why? DD needed a Scandinavian Christmas desert for school and wanted rice pudding. I've never made it, I don't want to eat it. The first batch, which I doubled, didnt look right ( how would I really know what "right" looks like?), so I made a different recipe. Now every plastic container I have is filled with the dang stuff in my fridge, it's midnight, I'm too tired to sleep. Oh yeah and that first batch was just fine, it just needed to cool down to thicken up. UGH!

* editied because I am too tired to spell and my cat is walking on my keyboard*

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I have it on good authority that chickens love rice pudding. [​IMG]

I remember the days of making desserts for kids school. I don't envy you. [​IMG]

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can't eat cookies - celiac disease. I've tried gluten free cookies from albertsons..... [​IMG]

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I'm a nurse. You are fortunate to have found someone who will actually test for celiac -- I feel there are a lot of people out there with it who will never know, and who suffer needlessly. Not commonly tested for. I've also cooked and eaten gluten free foods -- you certainly have my sympathy. As for sleeping meds, none have ever impressed me, from watching people take them and stay awake, with the exception of Benadryl; seems to make everyone sleepy to some extent.

Too bad about rice pudding -- something sweet that you could eat; I love the stuff, myself.

7. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Gritty, the majority of my family is gluten intolerant. [​IMG]
    And we agree, store bought ''no monster buggie'' food is [​IMG] Have you tried using alternitive flour blends? We use a sorghum one, and I swear you cannot taste the difference. I can give you the recipie, if you like.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I used to be a registered dietitian back in the dark ages, and gluten-free baked products were impossible to find. I'm impressed with the number of gluten-free mixes I've seen in the stores now, although I haven't tried any yet. Has anyone else?

9. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    There are some cookies -kisses, that are just sugar, egg white, and pecans or peppermint, but then You worry about that sugar spike.

I made some fruit cake cookies with coconut flour last year and they were wonderful. I think all you need for those is something to hold the glazed fruit together, so rice flour might work too.

I found for sleep issues nothing works better than a math book.

10. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:The Betty Crocker gluten-free brownie mix is excellent. That's according to my DH, who doesn't even have to eat gluten free. I have a Betty Crocker GF yellow cake mix in the pantry, but just haven't been in the mood to make cake and try it out.

I also can't have dairy products, but I can cheat with that alot more than I can the gluten.

ddawn Since I was diagnosed I've become convinced that my mother also had celiac disease, but was never properly diagnosed. She suffered for 30 years, until she reached a point that she couldn't leave her home for fear of an accident. When it reached that point, she took her own life.

Oh and benadryl? Makes me climb the walls. Which is unfortunate because I've had to take some of it the last few days for a mild reaction to one of the other new "super improved" meds. the doctor put me on last week. I go to the doctor, hoping to get off some of these dang meds., and he adds six more. [​IMG]

eenie114 I haven't tried any of the alternatives yet, mainly because they aren't available locally. I'll look for them next time we head to the city or see about ordering some off of amazon, after the first of the year. Thanks for the tip. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by