Its 10* outside, when should I get worried

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silkies4penny, Feb 12, 2012.

1. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    We are having a huge cold snap. Just my luck as I finally got a broody and put 8 shipped eggs under her. Its 10 degrees outside and a wind chill of -2. Are the eggs going to be ok as long as she doesnt get off them or should I try to relocate her in the house? I have 16 other eggs going in the bator but I dont want to take the eggs from her if I dont have to.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know where the broody is or what your set-up looks like, but unless she is really exposed, I'd think she will be OK. She will probably get up for food, water, and to relieve herself, but that will probably be a very quick break. I've noticed the warmer it is, the longer those breaks.

If you want to, you can move them into the incubator and put fake or other eggs under her, making sure the fake or new eggs are fairly warm first, but I would not bother. I do understand that as shipped eggs they are probably fairly valuable to you, but I really think they will be fine. I just think the less you mess with them, the less likely you are to mess things up.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    She's in a coop right? Those eggs will be fine as long as she stays on them. Don't forget to mark them in case she starts stealing more eggs to sit on.

4. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    She is in a coop, she is my only bird right now, so its just those eggs I gave her. I have a heat lamp in the coop, and her food and water is inside so she doesnt have to come out. I havn't seen her off the nest though since friday afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by