...it's 11:44 pm

SunnyDayz

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2010
Sunny FL
...and my rooster is crowing!
He doesn't always do it, but occasionally we'll hear him go on and on and on... late at night. I go out there and check on them and all seems in order.
So why is he doing it?
Thankfully we have no neighbors!

Last edited:
never had a roo....but is it possible that headlights are flashing him causing it? or a motion light kicking on? then again he may want to say goodnight?
lau.gif

My experience is that they crow off and on all day. I suspect they are more likely to do this if there is a larger number of them, but only one rooster is hardly a guarantee against crowing.

Fortunately, I love the sound, and my neighbors have never complained. Yesterday a crow came from across the street, and I didn't know they had chickens. Good old country living.

Even the 3 AM crows never bother me.

My don't care what time it is he crows. I've heard him at midnight, 1 and even 2am. I'm not sure what causes him to do this. I use to run to check on em but after a while I stopped. I also love to hear a roo crow. My neighbors has never said anything so it don't bother me

He's the only roo... we have 3 girls and him. No lights outside and the street is dark. Hm, not sure about the moon though.
I don't mind the crowing either, I can't hear it in the bedroom so it won't keep me awake
wink.png
I just wondered if there was any rhyme or reason to the rooster's crowing.

I used to have a few roos that would crow nearly on the hour all night long.(USED TO)
I finally got tired of hearing it since we are so far out in the woods we have very quiet
nights and even though I am a sound sleeper once I get to sleep I would occasionally
hear them. I finally sold those few roosters and pity the person who bought them.
The best I could figure on the crowing at night was, with the hens cackling all day
long that was the only time those 'ol boys could ever get a word in edgewise?
hide.gif

Quite often one will crow off schedule for reasons such as a light shining in his area (even if he can see light of any kind at night) or him feeling unsafe or insecure - Are there strange noises going on outside? Banging? Talking? Anything threatening can also trigger it.

Back
Top Bottom