1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

It's 11:45pm. Why is my rooster crowing??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happymorrows, Jan 29, 2011.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    What is wrong with that dang rooster! He about gave me a heart attack crowing so late! I jumped out of bed, sure a raccoon was after them or the coop was on fire. But, no, Johnny Storm the rooster is just nuts. Stupid rooster.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Roosters can't tell time.

3. X2Farm

X2Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Homer, GA
    [​IMG]

Sounds like me last night... Roo in the carport (his prefered sleeping place [​IMG] ) crowed... then my EE Aspen crowed from out in his coop, then that started the 5 Roosters in the basement crowing (new boys, quarantine!).... ALL for no reason! I went out in my robe and slippers with my LED maglite and rifle.. expecting something... NUTTIN!!! [​IMG]

Crazy Roo's! Walked back in, looked at Wheatie (carport Roo) and told him he was nuts! He just looked at me [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
  4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Sometimes, the neighborhood dogs get going barking all night... next thing I know my rooster is going off. I think he's telling them "Shut up... I'm louder then all of ya'll!"

I just learned to sleep through it at this point. (I prefer it to the dogs actually!) [​IMG]

5. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    He is simply telling the hens he is in charge of them!!!! or at least he thinks he is

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  6. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    It is time to put him into the stock pot. There is plenty rooster around. I have few that do not crow much at all.

7. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    mine rarely crow at night, and when they do its always my fault- I'm out tromping around with the flashlight and making noise. I'm totally convinced that they're expressing annoyance. Much like me opening the door and yelling, "SHUT-UP!!!" at the dogs at 3 am!

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, my dominant rooster crows when he sees the bathroom light go on in the middle of the night. He crows when the neighbor dog barks. I think he crows when the tree branches move against the coop, too.

He sets off some of the junior roosters, and then they have a crowing competition for a while.

I USED to go outside at the night time alerts, but not any more. If there is a different sort of ruckus, I may go out and check. So far, nothing beyond a couple of crows, so I stay in.

Then they all start crowing about 45 minutes before dawn. Welcoming the morning, I guess.

I happen to like the sound, fortunately.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Only Hollywood roosters crow exclusively in the morning. Mine crow all day long and sometimes in the middle of the night.

10. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Reason #2 why we don't have a rooster. But I STILL wish I could have one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by