It's 90 degrees in the coop, yet I just had to.....

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
pull two of my big fat brahma hens off the top of another big fat brahma hen sitting in a nestbox! There are 3 other nestboxes available, all identical, all facing the window and fans.

Just when I start to think chickens might just have a tiny bit of intelligence.

chicmom

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Strasburg Ohio
Isn't it funny? For some reason, one nest box is always very popular....Even if they're identical......

gritsar

12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Considering that the nestboxes are all covered kitty litter pans, it takes some skill to extract hens without breaking eggs.

TheSpiceGirls

Crowing
9 Years
Oct 6, 2010
Bay Area, CA
Quote:I have this issue too. I have three hens, three nest boxes and they all fight for one.

So I put two plastic Easter Eggs in another nest box, and suddenly, IT was the place to lay eggs. I move them around to mix it up and try to keep them from fighting.
I've really got to get a webcam.

gritsar

12 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I've got golfballs in all the nestboxes. Doesn't matter. Think my girls have gotten wise to me and can tell the difference between a golfball and a real egg? Nahhhhhh!

More than once I've had to stop my bossier girls from yanking one of their sisters out of a box when they wanted to use it. Human "cat fights" have nothing on my girls when its hot and they're cranky.

Top Bottom