It's a Batman too, but I can't figure out the color!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BuckeyeFoodie, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BuckeyeFoodie

BuckeyeFoodie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    EDIT: so apparently my phone autocorrected the title of this in hilarious ways! It should read "It's a Bantam Roo, but I can't figure out the color!" :lau:

So I got a bunch of bantams from a friend who ordered the 15 chick bantam mystery pack from Cackle. Of the 8 I took I have 2 Campine's, 3 red cochins, a red barred Cochin, an blue and a splash cochin, and then there is this guy:

I genuinely cant figure him out! Some feathers are barred, some are laced, and some look mottled. Ive never had a "pure bred" that has been so hard to identify!

[​IMG]:lau

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will probably have to wait until it fully feathers out, but to me it looks potentially like a silver pencil, though those red feathers shouldn't be there.

3. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    From my blue coop
    Is it a hen or rooster? I think i can see sickle feathers on his back, long pointy feathers that only roosters have, and he kind of stands like a rooster. he's so pretty.

4. King CreekRanch

King CreekRanch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2017
    BIRCHEN COCHIN or SILVER PENCIL COCHIN are my 2 guesses.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It's a young rooster.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel but, don't know what he's has a dazzling array of markings

7. BuckeyeFoodie

BuckeyeFoodie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So, Cackle's color selection of bantam Cochins are as follows: Buff Brahma, Barred, Birchin, Black, Blue, Buff, Golden Laced, Partridge, Red, Silver Pencil, Splash, and White.

I would agree that he is possibly Silver Pencil, but all the red is throwing me off!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by