It's a big day for all the little chickies. Pics Added

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Well, it's been a big day for all the little chickies here at Lone Cowboy's vast 1 acre chicken farm.
lau.gif

The big kids (5 week olds) went outside for the first time. It's really toasty here today so I made a quick little run for them (I haven't built the new run for the new coop yet) and let them come out. They weren't too excited at first, but I gave them a little scratch so they came out just long enough to eat the scratch and poop on everything, then they ran back inside.

That's a pretty good for the first day out. Don't want to over due it. I've noticed that these chicks are more mellow than the ones I get from the hatchery. Maybe because I hatched them and they aren't quite as high strung. No weird machines to pick them up by their heads or something.
big_smile.png

Then yesterday, I removed the draft guard, from the 2 week olds, and installed their roosts. Talk about cute!! Those little girls doing everything they can to get up to that top roost (1.5' feet up.) So very very cute.

The 4 day olds are in with the week olds and they are all getting along fine. They are roosting on anything I can put in there, bricks, wooden blocks etc. I'm going to have to go get a more advanced roost in there and bigger.

The kids in the hospital brooder are getting tired of my cry baby. She's a little splay leg chick, that I just don't think is going to make it. I'm really worried, but I want to give her all the changes I can to make it. The others (I had to help hatch) are all doing really well, and may be ready to go out with the week olds before too long. I just don't want to leave the little splay legged chick (Bob) alone.

So, it's been a big day for most of the chickens here. And really nice for mom to get out and watch the chickens in the warmth for a change.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a good day all the way around. I've been out most of the day working on a small temporary hutch and run to put some of the little ones in before they go to the big house. Great day here also for work outside. Hope we get more like this next week.

You know, we wouldn't have near the addiction to chicks if we all didn't have digital cameras.

Here's your pic of the 2 week olds.

busy1.jpg

bunchochicks.jpg

So cute!! Up on the roost like they are so cool.
cool.png

Ok, Erica and I are wondering what are the grey/white ones up against the back of the brooder?

These are some of the ones that we're getting right?
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom