its a bird...its a plane...noooo its a DOG

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by stargazingmommy, Nov 3, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Chickens were free ranging aka terrorizing the yard, while I did duck chores.
    The dogs were doing their morning laps, one end to the other at near super sonic speeds.
    As I stood at the spigot fighting to unhook the frozen hose while getting sprayed with icey water, the big dog, a big black lab mix, came over to the side of the house where I was. I called to Bellatrix(faverolle hen) just as snickers the dog started running in circles around the cement pad next to me. I turned just in time to see Snick, again at near super sonic speeds, head towards the backyard, right towards where the hens were. Snick is a tank. Nothing stops her. My heart dropped and I just knew she would tank over the poor chickens as they obliviously picked at the dirt and weeds. All of sudden snick is airborn. A graceful leap over the hens with a good 3 ft to spare on the other side of the chicks. And the chicks...flattened. plastered to the ground, not moving, silent, but only for about 3 seconds before they were up eating again.

I gave them a treat, one they've only had once before, when they stole it from the cats.
    They got a small can of salmon cat food. But off the ground. I put it on a plate...nooooo. In a bowl....nooooo. Off the spoon....nooooo. Out of my hand....noooo. out of the can....nooooo. It had to be on the dirt.

[​IMG]

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Such silly girls.

My girls have a Life is Good dog bowl for their treats. This morning I noticed it could use a good rinse so I took it out of the run to wash. Well, usually I go in, quickly toss them treats and leave in the morning. So when I left w/ out depositing treats AND I took their treat bowl, my alpha hen just started WAILING. OMG, it was the saddest sound. I washed that bowl as quickly as I could and brought it back and gave them so left over rice and sprouted wheat seeds to calm her back down.

Boy, that hen could stand to miss a few meals but she won't have it.

3. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My chickens and ducks are unshaken when my dog runs barking and then flies over them. I think they know he is a protector. He can get much closer to the winged creatures than I can!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by