It's a bit of a silly question, but how do people groom ducks for shows and that?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nanaluvsgps, Dec 29, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    ?

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What breed of ducks? I would think preparation techniques would vary from breed to breed.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You feed them a quality diet so that they have good plumage. Some colors need to be kept out of direct sunlight so they don't fade.

Ducks bathe themselves. Give then clean water and let them play in it, then put them someplace over night where they won't get dirty.

It's possible that you might have to trim toenails a few days before the show and always treat for mites before a show. Your birds won't be allowed into the show building if they have bugs.

4. Only1psyche

Only1psyche New Egg

Sep 3, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    What do you use to treat for mites?

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hey, nanaluvsgps, good to see a post from you! Far from a silly question, that. There are many who show their ducks.

6. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    One of the many advantages of waterfowl is they're self cleaning. Give them access to clean water & they'll get themselves ready. I used to show East Indies-I'd hold them by the wings with my left hand & spray them with a hose held in my right hand. Put them in a clean pen & they'd preen & groom themselves.

7. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Do you mean "groom" as in "to make neat or attractive [an impeccably groomed woman]" or as in "to prepare for an objective [He is being groomed to take over the company]"

Because I've always wondered how much handling you had to do with a duck to keep it calm during an event.

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Duckyfromoz trains her show ducks so they wont be as stressed.

9. kelseysfowl

kelseysfowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2012
    Missouri
    i use a dust i got at TSCit gets rid of all exo skeleton insects (lice mites ticks fleas etc) i use a sifter to sprinkle it on their entire body i do it 1 every 2 weeks to keep the critters off.its called Di trimatious earth.

10. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I use diatomaceous earth in my chooks nest boxes, but use ivermectin if they have an out break. My ducks seem imune to parasites and diseases but today my drakes came down with something and im not sure if he will live or not. I came home and he was lying on the ground not moving fast asleep. When he woke his wings were droopy and he was very slow at walking, just before I game him some water out of the hose (he drank on his own will) then he had like a seizure or fit that lasted like 5 seconds and he couldn't stop shaking. We put him in the bathtub and sat their with him but when he started to doze off we took him out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by