It's A Boy! Now What?....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by americanchicks, Jun 9, 2016.

1. americanchicks

americanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    Hi all! I got my flock of 5 chickens they are all about 3 months old. 2 buff Orps, 2 Silver Laced Wyans and one Easter Egger. Well it turns out that my one EE is a roster, no green blue eggs for me :( I have had chickens i the past, had two roosters but had to get rid of them. One was mean to my hens and the other one was mean to people. Well I am fond of my EE Owlowiscious he is by far my most out going bird. He is not afraid to let my 4 year old hold hold him and he likes to be petted. I would like and try and keep him but I dont have a lot of rooster experience. I have a couple questions about having a rooster in the hen house....

I read that you should at least have 8 hens to keep him happy, is 4 going to be enough?

Will it change egg production? I know the eggs would be fertile so will the hens lay them in a larger clutch, or still just one a day?

Do hens become broody if they lay fertilized eggs?

If we decide to hatch a few chicks next spring is it ok if they are a mixed breed? I know in general EEs are mixed breeds anyway.

Thanks for reading.

[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Keep your eye on your Rooster if he becomes aggressive.
    Yes, the more hens you have the better. He will over breed a small flock of hens.
    Egg production wont change with or without The Rooster.
    Yes, hens go Broody even without a Rooster.
    Yes, mixed chicks are fine.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    be very aware of that rooster around the 4 year old. Outgoing at a young age, people tend to think that the bird likes them. But in chicken society, no fear means they are dominant. Sometimes, often times, as the hormones kick in, these birds can become aggressive, and they generally become aggressive to children first, then smaller women, and lastly men.

Just be aware.

Mrs K

1 person likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is so true! My Polish rooster last year attacked me every single day. I have experience with Roos and he was a challenge.
    Needless too say he is gone. I would of had a heart attack if he ever attacked my company.

5. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Very handsome guy, for sure!

I've heard of Cocks getting aggressive but the only one I ever had (30yrs ago) was a Leghorn and he was fantastic, my 3yr old daughter would struggle carring him around under her arm. Maybe he was ok cause we had no hens around? But he had to go when we moved :( I find a squirt bottle with long reaching stream works wonders for my pullets/hens as a disciplinary tool. Maybe for your guy too if/when he gets too aggressive?

Now you have an excuse to get more pullets/hens :)

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    My experience with roosters are about 50/50, half were amazing and the other half....well lets just say I wouldn't be surprised if they were possessed. I have had friends who kept a rooster with a few hens and it went well but I do advise the bigger the flock the better. Egg production and broodiness average will be the same with a rooster as it is without one. Also mixed breed chicks are perfectly fine and normal, actually a few people prefer them since they can be so unique. Over all I haven't regretted keeping roosters, my last one (Zorro) was may favorite and he died of heart failure one night :( and I've been wanting to get another rooster (I miss them!). Whatever you choose to do I hope goes well!

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    He's a beautiful boy, but I'd stop the petting and holding right now. As Mrs. K said, in a few months when the hormones kick in, he may just decide to go after your child to show who's boss. Instead, I'd be walking toward him, making him move away from me. In my opinion, the best rooster is the one who does that - moves away. Since you have a small child, I'd watch him for any sign of aggression - wing dropping, "dancing", attempts to spur, even just coming at you or your son. Now on to your other questions:

He may or may not overbreed your hens. If he does, it could stress them and cause a drop in egg production. Some breeders keep breeding trios - a rooster and two hens - with no problem. I believe the 8-10 ratio often quoted is due for for optimum fertility within large flocks.

As Chickens really said, they will not lay more eggs if they're fertile. And while we're on the subject, it's OK to eat fertile eggs. As long as they're collected daily, you're not likely to find any "surprises".

Hens don't know or care if the eggs are fertilized or not. They'll set on rocks, golf balls, or anything else that even remotely resembles an egg if they are broody.

There's nothing wrong with mixed breed chicks. As a matter of fact, I find them prettier and more interesting than most purebreds. It all depends on your goals for your flock. If you do decide to hatch, though, keep in mind that there will be more males to deal with. You will find that you can't keep them all, so you might want to have a plan in place BEFORE hatching out those cute little fuzzy chicks and getting attached to them all.

x2

8. Mschkweasnduck

Mschkweasnduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2016
    Spirit lake
    My rooster Copper did exactly this.he was my very very first hatchling and I adored her..him...her...him...HIM (we went back n forth for nearly 3 months)
    But I babied him ,only ...out of the other 7 ...last month after my big cool Pepper fought a coyote ,lost [​IMG] copper was king..and he just went nuts.soon after overbreeding,chasing ,being beat up by my hens if he touched another of their girls :D ( liked that part) he went after my 3 year old,not raging after,but danced at her like egging on ,or domination yes,domination. I gave him away instantly . So coddling is hard to not do sometimes...but I will forever take this seriously from now on ;)
    Ty

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by