It's a BOY!! Silkie crowed today. Now what?

foxinachickenhouse

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Oregon
Ok, so it looks like we have a pair. La Fonda crowed today. Sounded like a kitty mewing but still. He is 15 weeks. We just have the 2 silkies and 4 standards. They all grew up together and are the same age. I really would like to keep him but of course we are not allowed roosters.
I'm concerned about my little silkie hen, Desiree if we get rid of LaFonda. They roost together on the floor of the coop while the others take the roost bar. I dont want her to have to roost all alone.

Here's my harebrained idea. Get a pet crate and bring them both into the basement /garage at night an put them out at a reasonable hour in the AM. What do you all think of that? (SO does not approve of this one).

Get rid of LaFonda and get another Silkie pullet as a friend for Desiree? (I do not approve of this one).

My other question is this. What color is he? He was a black chick. But now some of his feathers are coming in tan and white. Is he a partridge? A poor quality black? Some mix?

53573_lafonda.jpg

LaFonda

53573_0529001939a.jpg

LaFonda and Desiree. An inseparable pair.

I'm having the same problem!! TWO roos out of 3 silkies. I have no idea what to do
sad.png

I was thinking of putting my bunny with my girl for company... her pen is attached to my larger coop with 5 grumpy hens. They could never live together, but maybe seeing them through the wire would work for company...

I have no idea!

Does anyone have any ideas?? I have to rehome the boys.

I personally feel that you should get them a friend. They do not roost, so they would have to sleep alone, and silkies love their friends. They seem to pair up and that is who they stay with.

If I had a lonely Silkie, I would def. get it a friend.

GRAY! Cool thanks for the info. I had no idea there were grays. I had hoped to have some silkie chicks next spring and since Desiree is partridge, I figure they'll be mostly gray?...
Well, he crowed 3 times this morning and has been quiet since. We finished the skirting around the run on Friday. And so for the last two days, they have had the pop door open at night so they can let themselves out in the AM. Maybe this is what set him to crowing? Am thinking of shutting them inside again at night and letting them out manually in AM for now. Also, he didn't crow until we went out to see them and had already walked away.

If I introduce another pullet should I do it while we still have LaFonda? Would that make the transition easier once we re-home him? Also, would someone speak to his quality? Not sure how to market him if I go that route. Never had silkies before.

Thanks all.

Quote:
I would never let my silkie hen be alone. They really love to cuddle together. Not sure about a bunny. Maybe I should put an extra cat in with mine!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom