It's a buttercup!! Boy or girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shelleyd2008, Mar 15, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It was marked as a GL (golden lakenvelder), but I have recently noticed it has a double comb? I'm thinking it is a buttercup comb, but not sure. I was taking pics of it, and noticed it also seems to have green legs? The person I got these eggs from has all their breeds seperated, but gl's should have a straight comb, right? And green legs=EE, true? This person doesn't list EE or ameraucana in his list, but does have buttercups. So did I get a mutt, or is it just something I'm not thinking of?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It is about 1 or 2 weeks old. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
  3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'd have to say a mixed breed "mutt..." [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sorry... your question was just extremely funny to me.

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Well that's a relief, I was hoping it was a GL, but that's all right. Can you tell if it is male or female? I'm thinking male, but I hope I'm wrong!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  5. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Here is one of our 2 week old buttercups from last spring.

[​IMG]

A 6 month old male comb:

[​IMG]

6. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    That does indeed look like a buttercup comb! But, does she have any pea-combed breeds? Sometimes a pea x single will result in a comb that looks somewhat similar to a buttercup comb, but it usually has three rows.

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Looks like a buttercup.

8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I spoke with the person whom I received the eggs from, and they said that it is for sure a buttercup. Their son was on egg duty, and forgot which pen he got the eggs from evidently. I'm sure most of us know how boys are! It's a wonder they make it through childhood! [​IMG]

Now I'm wondering if it is a boy or a girl? I'm thinking boy, since the comb, to me, is pretty noticeable, but this is the first bird I have ever had that had a buttercup comb, so I don't know what to look for. I'm used to straight-combed breeds [​IMG] Any help would be great on the sexing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by