It's a chicken.... I *think*..?!

Henhouse Harlot

Songster
Feb 25, 2022
Aurora, Oregon
Meet my beloved pet "Sunspot", a completely random mix of Silky (extra toe + soft feathers), Easter Egger (the little poofy FACE!!šŸ„°), and any number of other breeds, that mixed together over many years. Occasional new chicks were added from time to time, this was an old neighbor. Anyhow! I've heard everything from a *Island Fighting Chicken", to a " North American Golden Doodle". As a tiny fluff, he was sexed by an expert as " female", the folks on here agreed with that. Well, now Sunspot is crowing vigorously, doing the "rooster dance" and all the other things, except for mating. He's got zero interest in hens whatsoever! It's interesting.
Here are several pictures of Sunspot at different ages. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20220624_164625203.jpg
    IMG_20220624_164625203.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20221126_140823264.jpg
    IMG_20221126_140823264.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221126_140939135.jpg
    IMG_20221126_140939135.jpg
    952.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20220728_200846482.jpg
    IMG_20220728_200846482.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 10
Meet my beloved pet "Sunspot", a completely random mix of Silky (extra toe + soft feathers), Easter Egger (the little poofy FACE!!šŸ„°), and any number of other breeds, that mixed together over many years. Occasional new chicks were added from time to time, this was an old neighbor. Anyhow! I've heard everything from a *Island Fighting Chicken", to a " North American Golden Doodle". As a tiny fluff, he was sexed by an expert as " female", the folks on here agreed with that. Well, now Sunspot is crowing vigorously, doing the "rooster dance" and all the other things, except for mating. He's got zero interest in hens whatsoever! It's interesting.
Here are several pictures of Sunspot at different ages. Thoughts?
What a handsome boy

Thank you everyone!! I'll admit, I'm not a fan of yellow/red colors either, except for this very unusual bird. This guy has such an incredible spectrum of colors that really do seem to be "lit from within" ā˜ŗļøšŸŒžā˜ŗļø
My main flock of hens will arrive on the 17th of December, and it will be interesting to see what happens then! I'll post updates on "the Sunspot Chronicles" in the future! He's about 7 months now, his lack of interest in hens may change, lol

Sunspot is EXTRAORDINARY! What a lovely bird!

I'm far from an expert, but Sunspot does look like a rooster to me.

I would be delighted if my two roos would do everything except mate -- a few of my hens would also be pretty happy and have much less feather damage.
Thank you!! šŸ˜ And yes, every other rooster I've had was like that! I'm hoping Sunspot will give me some babies, someday! If he's just decorative, that's okay too šŸ˜Š

He does look like a Silkie mix to me, probably with a lot of other things thrown in. If he is doing the rooster dance then he will probably be interested in hens sooner or later. He may already be. Sometimes chickens can be sly when they mate and you'd never know it was happening. Having other boys around also complicates things if he is lower down on the pecking order.

Back
Top Bottom