Its A Crazy Question I Know But.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by radiodog, Aug 27, 2010.

1. radiodog

radiodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    is there any breed of rooster that does not crow very much & has a soft crow? Told ya its a crazy question. [​IMG]

2. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    There have been quite a few posts by people asking this same question and the answer is more or less, no. There are individual roosters though that have a soft crow. I had a cochin roo that did and he got a lot of attention at the shows, usually laughs. It was probably more of defect in the "vocal cords" (they do not have vocal cords as we know them but that is just easier for most people to relate to).

3. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    I sort of figured that. The people one house over recently got a roo and I'm afraid if I got a rooster a crowing war would begin which would really irritate the other neighbors. I do love to hear that rooster crow...makes me feel good.

4. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    I have a Serama rooster in a neighborhood, and my next door neighbors cant even hear him [​IMG]
    He sounds more like a crow or something similar. His crow only has two syllables. Like Errr-Ooo.
    He is a blast to listen to though. It is quite funny when he thrusts his head back and lets out a squeak.

5. radiodog

Jan 1, 2010
    Summerfield NC
    That's something to consider....I do like the bantys. I found 2 ads for Seramas on CL. Thanks!

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Our bantams are louder than most of our large roosters.It's all in the rooster himself..we have a few that hardly talk and a few that are very quick to sound off.
    If you don't have rules against roosters don't worry.At first they may hear him but like a dog once it's around awhile they just become background noise and no one notices.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't have banty roosters, but I've heard them crow at the fair. I have to say for being so little, they are LOUD! Holy cow, they make my welsummer rooster seem quiet.

8. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I love my bantie roos! They are fairly quiet but, not really [​IMG]

9. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    Our banty's crow just as good as our regular roosters.. [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Typically, the smaller the bird, the higher the pitch. Yes, a larger bird is often louder, but a smaller one is often less annoying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by