1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

It's a dog's life.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pgpoultry, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    ....Or should that be a chickens' life?

Here is my Border Collie Jared sharing his bed. Does he look fed up?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sandie

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

Too funny!!! He does look fed up! [​IMG]

What breed is the big rooster in the second pic? with the rose comb? One of my cockerels is starting to look like that, except his legs are clean, not feathered.

Thanks,
    Melissa

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Hi,

The big guy is a Gold Brahma....and IS he a big boy, well over 2 feet tall when he stretches up to crow.[​IMG]

Sandie

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    that is a great pix

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Poor puppy just wants a peaceful nap. [​IMG]

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Yes, poor Jared loses his bed to the chickens whenever they feel inclined, but he does have an inside bed as well.( He also loses his bed to the cat.)

However, Jared really seems to like the chickens, only getting agitated if they start to scrap. If any of the chickens fail to come back to the coop at night they invariably find their way to one of Jared's beds and we have found him curled up asleep round hens or roosters on a number of occasions.

A while back two of the hens took to laying on his bed, so they know he is a friend.

However, he is a very well loved dog who we rescued as the runt of a litter from a local farm. We always make sure that he is well rewarded for his good behaviour and he is given his favourite cheese whenever he protects a chicken.

We manage to have largely peaceful co-existence between dog, chickens, cats, sheep and a goat, with the only friction being between the dog and the goat( who occasionally seem to have testosterone excess problems!)

Sandie

7. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I think Jared is AWESOME!! What a great dog! Okay, can't help myself....smoochy, smoochy Jared!! [​IMG]

8. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    This is so cute! GORGEOUS roos! [​IMG]

9. Jen4

Jen4 Songster

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    O thats funny... poor dog! lol

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Jared (named by my daughter after Jared Leto) would happily lick and roll onto his back for everyone who has empathized with his position .

He spent last night outside whilst the 2 hens and 3 roosters had his inside bed as my husband forgot to close their pen. He is a great predator deterrent and a raven hater. We all love him to bits...

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by