It's a duck i think

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by zazouse, Apr 27, 2011.

1. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    This critter flew in yesterday to one of my ponds and is now hanging around the feeding area, my other ducks,geese,chickens and guineas have been trying to run it off but it comes right back.
    It makes a whistling sound, has web feet and i see white on its flight feathers when it flys.
    Here is a photo, sorry it's not the best but i can't download photos from my other camera on my laptop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Gorgeous- its a Red billed Whistling duck- or maybe a black bellied one.... Someone on here just got some of these guys recently- cant remember who- but they sure are lucky- Enjoy your visitor.

3. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW that is an amazing looking creature...comical and elegant looking all at the same time....[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hoss1975

Hoss1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    north central Indiana
    I think that ia a black bellied whistling duck.

5. srpaint

srpaint Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Illinois
    Very pretty!!!!

6. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

hes gorgeous [​IMG]

7. Josh45640

Josh45640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Quote:bingo.

8. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    That second pic is cute [​IMG] "Hey, who's the new guy [​IMG] ?"

9. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Thank you all for the wonderful replies.

It was still here this morning it is making the rounds of the ponds and comming near the feeding area, it is not afriad of my dogs but is leary of humans, at first i thought it might belong to someone but now i just do not know, there is a fellow down the road that use to raise exotic water fowl on a big scale and i think he still does on a small scale, but would this be considered an exotic duck? if so mabe he is missing it from his pens.

I have all kinds of ducks and even canadian geese visit my ponds but they never stay long, this one seems to like it here.

10. Dr. Todd

Dr. Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    It's a Black-bellied Whistling Duck (Dendrocygna autumnalis). They are native and locally common in your part of Texas. They're also quite common in captivity, but the duck should have a leg band or be missing the hind toe on the right leg if it's a captive bird that escaped.
    DT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by