it's a GIRL!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chkinut, May 12, 2010.

1. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    hi guys! i'm kinda double posting here, i put this same thread on the "stories of your chickens".....but anyway, i have a 10 day old silkie....the only hatch out of 14 eggs! she's spoiled ROTTEN! well, i had her eggshell DNA tested to see what her sex was! she's a GIRL!!! [​IMG] i also did the silly "hang the needle over the egg" thingy (if it circles, it's a boy, if it goes back and forth, it's a girl) i did that before she went into lockdown and it said she was a girl too. i am SO SO happy! i wanted to keep her anyway, if she was a roo, but i also realized it MAY not work out. so NOW, there's no doubt about it! she's a keeper!!!! yeah Sweet Pea! you go GIRL!!!! [​IMG]

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Where do you get "eggshell DNA" testing done? I've never heard of it, but would LOVE to do that! Is it very expensive to have done?

3. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    go to this site:

http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm

i saved her eggshell after she hatched. and they take the membrane left over in the shell and can test the DNA in it to determine whether the chick is male or female. it costs 25 bucks. so it would be really expensive if you wanted to know the sex of more than one chick....but i only had the one chick. i am so thrilled!!!

4. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Cool! Thanks for sharing!

5. the4heathernsmom

the4heathernsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    east texas
    Wow that is cool !!!! Congrats to you!!!!

6. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville
    What in the world is the needle over the egg thing? xD

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Congrats on the baby girl.[​IMG]:jumpy

8. chkinut

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    Quote:oh it's a silly old wives tale thing that i tried. you put a needle on a string, hold it over the egg (i do it before lockdown) and if it goes in a circle it's a male, if it goes in a straight line it's suppose to be a female. you have to hold really still and then all of a sudden it does one or the other. this is my 1st experience with it....i just did it for fun, but it turned out right.

9. ADozenGirlz

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:oh it's a silly old wives tale thing that i tried. you put a needle on a string, hold it over the egg (i do it before lockdown) and if it goes in a circle it's a male, if it goes in a straight line it's suppose to be a female. you have to hold really still and then all of a sudden it does one or the other. this is my 1st experience with it....i just did it for fun, but it turned out right.

It's an old human pregnancy wives' tale originally. It's correct 50% of the time!

10. Barbeque

Barbeque Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Danville

It's an old human pregnancy wives' tale originally. It's correct 50% of the time!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by