it's a GIRL!!!!

chkinut

Songster
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Leesburg, Ohio
hi guys! i'm kinda double posting here, i put this same thread on the "stories of your chickens".....but anyway, i have a 10 day old silkie....the only hatch out of 14 eggs! she's spoiled ROTTEN! well, i had her eggshell DNA tested to see what her sex was! she's a GIRL!!!
celebrate.gif
i also did the silly "hang the needle over the egg" thingy (if it circles, it's a boy, if it goes back and forth, it's a girl) i did that before she went into lockdown and it said she was a girl too. i am SO SO happy! i wanted to keep her anyway, if she was a roo, but i also realized it MAY not work out. so NOW, there's no doubt about it! she's a keeper!!!! yeah Sweet Pea! you go GIRL!!!!
D.gif

Quote:
Where do you get "eggshell DNA" testing done? I've never heard of it, but would LOVE to do that! Is it very expensive to have done?

go to this site:

http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm

i saved her eggshell after she hatched. and they take the membrane left over in the shell and can test the DNA in it to determine whether the chick is male or female. it costs 25 bucks. so it would be really expensive if you wanted to know the sex of more than one chick....but i only had the one chick. i am so thrilled!!!

Quote:
oh it's a silly old wives tale thing that i tried. you put a needle on a string, hold it over the egg (i do it before lockdown) and if it goes in a circle it's a male, if it goes in a straight line it's suppose to be a female. you have to hold really still and then all of a sudden it does one or the other. this is my 1st experience with it....i just did it for fun, but it turned out right.

Quote:
oh it's a silly old wives tale thing that i tried. you put a needle on a string, hold it over the egg (i do it before lockdown) and if it goes in a circle it's a male, if it goes in a straight line it's suppose to be a female. you have to hold really still and then all of a sudden it does one or the other. this is my 1st experience with it....i just did it for fun, but it turned out right.

It's an old human pregnancy wives' tale originally. It's correct 50% of the time!

Quote:

It's an old human pregnancy wives' tale originally. It's correct 50% of the time!

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom