Its a Joyful Noise

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 6chickens in St. Charles, Aug 3, 2011.

1. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    I have grown tired of all the press about "Yay! Chickens in Backyards!" EXCEPT ROOSTERS. Classically, the newspaper articles and newsquips state "except roosters, which aren't necessary for eggs anyways" etc.

I feel like ranting. I have ranty pants on. What's the real problem people have with roosters, anyways?

I get up at 05:42 every morning and I work very hard. If my rooster notices I'm not up yet he crows, and I am thankful for his kind reminder. Sometimes he crows to the sound of my snooze alarm, and I think its beautiful that he cares. I am so tired I can't even open both eyes, but I smile because my rooster makes these mornings kind of funny, in a "remember that we're still alive" and "oh good, another day!" kind of way.

Since I am grateful to be gainfully employed as long as possible, I am grateful for the joyful noise to start my day. He reminds me of a bigger, greener, livelier life than the drudgery of my wretched work days (indoors, mostly bent over, mostly in foul smells). Since I work mostly with the sick and the dying, I am giddily grateful for the joyful noise and sweet love of my rooster friend when I get home. For him, its all Carpe Diem! Beautiful Day! Glad to see you! Amore! Even in the rain.

Can I rant now about the ungratefulness of others who consider roosters ONLY noisy in a bad way? When will people accept the songs of birds again as a normal part of life? Are people too hard wired into videogames, movies and TV that people are numb to real life, to the point of anger at normal noises of actual, real live creatures? Some of my neighbors have told me they like my rooster, that its "musical", "old fashioned" and "charming". I agree.

So why all the bad press? Why limit people to quiet chickens only? We don't limit dogs to quiet dogs only, and nobody limits kids to quiet kids only, or lawnmowers, or trucks............. aren't there worse sounds out there than a rooster's crow? Among life's sounds, I think crowing roosters are some of the most joyful. Not bad.

Besides, they're pretty.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Baby steps.

If the masses get used to the idea of happy happy hens, we can start changing their minds about roosters. We'll sneak 'em into their hearts and they wont know what hit them!!

Classically, the newspaper articles and newsquips state "except roosters, which aren't necessary for eggs anyways

They HAVE to say the above, because people, while good intentioned, are often dumb.​

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I love to hear roosters. I have some boys just now getting old enough to crow. I hope there is a nice one in there.

4. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    Thanks.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I think all my sweet little hens are louder and more annoying than my roosters. And I would much rather hear any of them over the roar of the neighbors motercycle at 7 in the morning.

6. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I love the sound of my 4 roosters' crows; each of their crows in unique. I might not want them or a barking dog right under my window at 5:30 am, but the coop isn't under anyone's bedroom window.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love my roosters' crow-fests! I can, like so many others, tell them apart without looking to see who just crowed. When a new youngster starts up, I HAVE to go see him practicing his crow, being sure to cheer him on.

Mine also wake up and crow when my alarm goes off, which probably sucks for the retired couple next door.

But those boys just gotta greet the day.

I find the sound of crowing to be far more interesting than the incessant "Whoo, whoo, whooooo" of mourning doves.

~Just like the white winged dove, who goes 'Who, whoo, whoo...'~

Gimme a good, rousing crow any time!

8. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    I love roosters! I've got 6! (2 of which are soon to be dinner [​IMG] ) Their crow is beautiful! (Except when it's right in your ear and rattles your eardrum!)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    I love roosters! May have one in the mitts. I also think the sound of one crowing is a beautiful, natural sound. I think the problem is convincing those without chickens to like them [​IMG] I'd rather hear a rooster anyday over a dog barking outside for hours

10. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have a little guy who is just learning how to do it. I laugh each time I hear him.
    It kind of squeeky like....er...er...errrrr...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by