It's a little too late....

SomeChickinTN

Songster
Nov 19, 2018
E TN
But I'm having second thoughts about having chickens. I'm afraid of missing something in securing the coop, and losing them all to predators. I'm afraid of doing deep litter/compost wrong and attracting smell and angry neighbors. I'm afraid that if I have to clean it out every day it'll be too unmanageable with having a large family and a toddler like velcro. Afraid that chick integration will not go well.

And also because I have all these grand long term urban homesteading plans, and I have no idea what is realistic planning for the first and second year. I'll end up jumping in with both feet with chickens and garden beds, and flower beds, etc...And at that point I will get overwhelmed....As much as I have researched, I feel like I know nothing.

I think everyone gets overwhelmed sometimes. Just take your concerns one at a time.
1. Have you lost birds to predators? If yes, do more to secure your coop/run. If no, check that off the list.
2. Is the litter you're using now smelly and making the neighbors angry? If yes, use a different litter method. If no, don't worry about it.

That's just an example. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now with a big family, a toddler, etc. Big plans take time but can be accomplished by taking it one tiny step at a time.

If life is too busy right now to feel comfortable taking care of a flock too, consider re-homing them. Raising poultry should be enjoyable (even though there is work to do with them). If you aren't enjoying the birds, don't feel bad about having them, do something to make things simpler. And cut yourself some slack, no one can do everything.

It can seem very overwhelming sometimes. Take a breath. If you really don't think you want to do it, rehome them. If you wanna keep going, then just breathe and take one thing at a time. I have lost some to predators, Ive had a smelly coop by doing the wrong things, Ive had rats, sick chickens, blah blah blah. Every time Ive learned from my mistakes and got better and better at management. I still make mistakes and learned to be more forgiving to myself for the fallout my mistakes cause. As for smelly coop, you will smell it before your neighbors will! Then you just come here, explain your issue and you will get a lot of help fixing it.

I think everyone gets overwhelmed sometimes. Just take your concerns one at a time.
1. Have you lost birds to predators? If yes, do more to secure your coop/run. If no, check that off the list.
2. Is the litter you're using now smelly and making the neighbors angry? If yes, use a different litter method. If no, don't worry about it.

That's just an example. It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now with a big family, a toddler, etc. Big plans take time but can be accomplished by taking it one tiny step at a time.

If life is too busy right now to feel comfortable taking care of a flock too, consider re-homing them. Raising poultry should be enjoyable (even though there is work to do with them). If you aren't enjoying the birds, don't feel bad about having them, do something to make things simpler. And cut yourself some slack, no one can do everything.
No, the chicks are in the brooder, so I don't have any trial and error yet. I'm hoping to have the coop done this weekend, and am planning on deep litter and compost. But then, when my coop is done, a woman from church is giving me 10 layers. So they will be in the coop before the chicks. That will leave me with 15 chickens. So I think for the first year I am not going to worry about rotation, just the eggs. That would give me the whole first year to worry about the meat aspect of old hens. I could probably just clean the coop in the evenings after dinner when my husband is home. It wouldn't probably take long to run out in the morning to let them in the run and check food and water. My oldest is homeschooled, so he could keep an eye on the toddler.

As far as the garden, it will take 8 beds for my goals, but I have managed to kill houseplants that are marketed as hard to kill, so I was thinking maybe just start out with potatoes and green beans and worry about other vegetables when I learn how to keep those alive.

No, the chicks are in the brooder, so I don't have any trial and error yet. I'm hoping to have the coop done this weekend, and am planning on deep litter and compost. But then, when my coop is done, a woman from church is giving me 10 layers. So they will be in the coop before the chicks. That will leave me with 15 chickens. So I think for the first year I am not going to worry about rotation, just the eggs. That would give me the whole first year to worry about the meat aspect of old hens. I could probably just clean the coop in the evenings after dinner when my husband is home. It wouldn't probably take long to run out in the morning to let them in the run and check food and water. My oldest is homeschooled, so he could keep an eye on the toddler.

As far as the garden, it will take 8 beds for my goals, but I have managed to kill houseplants that are marketed as hard to kill, so I was thinking maybe just start out with potatoes and green beans and worry about other vegetables when I learn how to keep those alive.

Everyone has a different way of doing things, you just have to figure out what works best for you. Sounds to me like you're getting it!

Well wait then lol! Not forever, just until your tot can "help" you with the birds. Kids love helping! You'll make mistakes sure,but that is life i'm sure you've messed up before right? Just do one thing at a time, you'll eventually do it all that way. Don't hurry, and don't stress chickens are supposed to be somewhat enjoyable don't get overwhelmed or you'll suck all the fun out of it for yourself and your family.:)

It can seem very overwhelming sometimes. Take a breath. If you really don't think you want to do it, rehome them. If you wanna keep going, then just breathe and take one thing at a time. I have lost some to predators, Ive had a smelly coop by doing the wrong things, Ive had rats, sick chickens, blah blah blah. Every time Ive learned from my mistakes and got better and better at management. I still make mistakes and learned to be more forgiving to myself for the fallout my mistakes cause. As for smelly coop, you will smell it before your neighbors will! Then you just come here, explain your issue and you will get a lot of help fixing it.
My neighbors live down the hill and upwind, so I'm hoping that will help. And I don't know if it's accurate, but somebody told me that since I live at the top of the hill the sound should carry above them, so the crowing shouldn't be an issue...

My neighbors live down the hill and upwind, so I'm hoping that will help. And I don't know if it's accurate, but somebody told me that since I live at the top of the hill the sound should carry above them, so the crowing shouldn't be an issue...

Do you live in an area where it's ok to have roosters? Some people (even those that don't personally keep poultry) like the sound of crowing.

Do you live in an area where it's ok to have roosters? Some people (even those that don't personally keep poultry) like the sound of crowing.
Yeah, they are a nice old couple. I did let them know we are getting them, at least. He didn't really have much of a reaction either way.

Yeah, they are a nice old couple. I did let them know we are getting them, at least. He didn't really have much of a reaction either way.

If you're concerned noise from a rooster will bother them, a carton of eggs once in a while might not be the worst way to keep things peaceful with the neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom