It's a miracle! Baby chick raised from the dead!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skidog, Aug 8, 2008.

1. skidog

skidog New Egg

Jul 24, 2008
    I just recieved some new RIR pullets. My almost 2 year old is as quicker than me and grabbed one and squeezed it. It's eyes were closed, tounge out, and lifeless. I descretly took it out of the room so my other 4 kids wouldn't loose their mind and watched it for about 10 min. It didn't move and seemed to turn cold. I did what most farm girls would do and wrapped it in a papertowel and tossed it over the fence into the field. The only child I told was my 10 year old because he can count and noticed one missing. This happened about 7:30 in the morning and at noon my 10 year old went to check on his beloved year old RIR's and guess what he found......
    The little baby chick was walking around in the outside pen with the older hens. It had walked about 1000 feet and gotten in with them. What a miracle!
    We now call her Lazarus!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When it hit the ground after you threw it over the fence, you started it's little heart to beating again.

Good job.

Lazarus indeed.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Awesome! So glad it worked out for you!! [​IMG]

I've had two instances of chick revival. One the dog got ahold of. The dog thought maybe the chick needed mothering, the chick had other ideas. A few weeks older and two were crushed in a pile-up. All three of the doomed chicks are doing fine now. They still amaze me with their resilence.

4. rodandbrandy

rodandbrandy Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    NH
    My 2 year old did the same thing, she squeezed the life right out of it, I thought for sure it was gone, it lay lifeless in my hand, I went to go get rid of it and it started to wiggle and breathe and now all is well, they are tough little critters!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Wow.

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    thats cool....maybe chicks do the same thing as goats...if they feel threatned they will play dead....?...just a thought

7. Sahara

Sahara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    Keystone Heights, FL
    I stepped on one of mine and thought it was dead. Now her name is Ellie Mae and she is three months old and doing wonderful!

8. ausamerican33

ausamerican33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Wendell, NC
    That's amazing! And for that little thing to walk so far! What a story!

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Lazarus, come forth!!!

great news! and i thought we had a blessed nest![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by