It's a miracle!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pips&peeps, Aug 12, 2008.

1. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    On Friday we had a thunderstorm system run through our area and the lights started flickering. So my husband went outside and plugged my incubator into a battery back up. (UPS)

Saturday I went to a horse show and on Sunday morning before I left for the show again I went to put the eggs into the hatcher and I opened up the incubator......

It was not running, the eggs inside were all cold. [​IMG] I imagine the thing was off for about 36 hours. So I proceeded to scream at my husband for bringing home inferior products and ruining my hatch as I was supposed to ship these chicks to a lady in Maine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

After I was done ranting at him I told him he could throw the eggs out while I was gone and I would contact my customer about it, which I did.

I went out this morning and the incubator is running, my husband did not throw out the eggs, so I pulled out the tray to remove the dead eggs and they are pipping!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I immediately candled them all and put the viable ones in the hatcher. I can't believe this. I may end up with 25 chicks to ship to this lady.

I have had such bad luck lately, I guess it was my turn for it to turn around. I will have to check and see if I can ship tomorrow, if they will make it before the weekend and let her know the good news.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]
    Info on power outages during Incubation.
    From- A Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow

The more valuable your hatching eggs are, the more likely it is that the electricity will go out during incubation. If you have an uninterruptable power source (UPS) for your computer or other electronic equipment, consider disconnecting the usual equipment and using the UPS to power your incubator. If the outage comtinues beyond its capacity to keep your incubator running, or you don't have an UPS, open the incubator and let the eggs cool until the power goes back on.

Trying to keep the eggs warm is likely to cause abnormal embryo development. Furthermore, if you close the vents or wrap the incubator with blankets in your attempt to keep eggs warm, a greater danger than temperature loss is oxygen deprivation. Developing embryos use up oxygen rather rapidly, and the oxygen level may soon fall below that necessary to keep them alive.

As soon as the power goes back on, close the incubator and continue operating it as usual. The effect of the outage on your hatch will depend on how long the power was out and on how long the eggs had been incubated before the outage. A power failure of up to 12 hours may not significally affect the hatch (except to delay it somewhat), especially if the outage occurred during the early incubation, when cooled embryos naturally tend to go dormant. Embryos that are close to term generate enough heat to carry them through a short-term outage.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Awesome, Jean! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Farmer Kitty, i am so glad to hear that. The other night I didn't get my incubator top installed properly before bed and woke up to find they were way cooler than they should have been. [​IMG] I was sure they would all be dead, but decided to leave them in there and see what happens. I have $50 worth of shipped eggs in the thing and it just made me sick! I'll hang out and see what they look like in another week. [​IMG]

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

6. Melilem

Melilem Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Ok I have my fingers crossed....

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Yay!!!!! Make sure to keep us updated and post pictures!!! I am on day 12 with my eggs from you and they are doing fantastic!! I can't wait until they hatch!

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    HOLY COW! That's incredible! [​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    pips&peeps :

On Friday we had a thunderstorm system run through our area and the lights started flickering. So my husband went outside and plugged my incubator into a battery back up. (UPS)

Saturday I went to a horse show and on Sunday morning before I left for the show again I went to put the eggs into the hatcher and I opened up the incubator......

It was not running, the eggs inside were all cold. [​IMG] I imagine the thing was off for about 36 hours. So I proceeded to scream at my husband for bringing home inferior products and ruining my hatch as I was supposed to ship these chicks to a lady in Maine. [​IMG] [​IMG]

After I was done ranting at him I told him he could throw the eggs out while I was gone and I would contact my customer about it, which I did.

I went out this morning and the incubator is running, my husband did not throw out the eggs, so I pulled out the tray to remove the dead eggs and they are pipping!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I immediately candled them all and put the viable ones in the hatcher. I can't believe this. I may end up with 25 chicks to ship to this lady.

I have had such bad luck lately, I guess it was my turn for it to turn around. I will have to check and see if I can ship tomorrow, if they will make it before the weekend and let her know the good news.

i was just gonna say, power outages dont affect eggs as sevierly as people assume, mine were out for a day and a half and they all hatched​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by