Its a mite question for you guys

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by new 2 pfowl, Oct 29, 2014.

1. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I hate to even be asking this, but do any of you have experience with mites in your house?
    I've been getting some bites and I just realized that it might be bird mites - Argh! [​IMG]

Please let me know if you have suggestions - vacuuming and laundry don't seem to have done the job so far, but I have only started on this.
    I've seen some horror stories online and hope this isn't that big a deal (no, I am not going to call the exterminator and have my house tented, thank you!).

2. MinxFox

MinxFox Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I didn't realize they could be a problem in the house!? I treated everyone for mites a few months ago, but I see them on Peep again. *sigh* I hate mites. That wouldn't be good for me though because I like to pet Peep and kiss him on the head a lot, and I see mites on his face. I figured they wouldn't want to jump onto me.

Do you have a lot of peacock feathers in your house? I could see peafowl feathers bringing mites into your house.

I think Dylansmom puts her peacock feathers in the freezer for a bit to kill any bugs on them.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Do you realize what it cost to have a house tinted, it is very expensive we had one done back in 1988 and it cost 3500.00 then i can not imagine what it would be now but you will have to remove all your animals, bag up you perishables, medicines anything open and will have to be gone for a few day but it does work, you will not see a bug of any kind for years LOL

I never herd of people getting bird mites, are you sure it ain't chiggers or sand fleas?

4. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    I was kind of thinking of bed bugs perhaps... Not sure...

5. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    No, I've researched every kind of creepy biter and I do believe it is bird mites.
    I may have brought them in with feathers, you're right, MinxFox.

If you want to get scared, look at this: http://www.birdmites.org/index.html
    Luckily there are only a few biters here!

6. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA

7. Garden Peas

Garden Peas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Bed bugs, horrors, apparently now can be caught on upholstered places in public [​IMG]

PeaLover130 occasionally turns up with an odd bite or two in the morning -- I'm convinced in her case that it is either a flea, a spider or a stray mosquito that managed to get into the house. We are not overrun with fleas... I almost never see one, but the cat sleeps on her bed, so if there is going to be a flea in the house, that's where it's going to be [​IMG] Oh boy, do I hate fleas! Almost as much as I hate rats, black widows, scorpions and rattlesnakes in the yard [​IMG] We once moved into a house, only to discover it was totally infested with fleas... what a battle that was to get rid of them [​IMG]

8. new 2 pfowl

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    It is really hard to get rid of the tiny biters!
    I really don't think its bed bugs, fleas etc. from reading about what they do and seeing what they look like.
    But from what you guys say, it really sounds like bird mites may be unlikely, too.
    I'll have to keep investigating!
    Thanks for all of the input.

9. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    If it is one of those bitters try Citric acid (Lemon or Orange juice 100% not Lemonade). Maybe put some Lemon juice in your shampoo and see if that gets rid of them and spray some lemon juice on your birds. I keep my feathers on my bed and I have only misted them while they were attached to Colbolt and I don't have any of those bitters and they have been in my room since August.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  10. MinxFox

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    Have your windows been open recently? I went camping a month ago and these darn little gnats were so small they went through the mesh on the tent and made sleeping every night impossible for me because they wouldn't stop biting me. It made me so paranoid that I started to feel itchy all over so I would hide under my sleeping bag at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by